Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

suspension adaptation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

axman61

Automotive
Sep 27, 2008
US
I am posting here for the first time. I am not an engineer but a machinist at a Nabisco bakery. I want to adapt the suspension of a '95 240sx Nissan to a '66 Ford Mustang. The reason that I chose the 240 (S14) is that it is a rear-steer like the Ford with rack and pinion steering, disc brakes and strut-type suspnesion that also uses a tension rod connected to the lower control arm, also like the Mustang. I'm thinking that I will have to fabricate a mount to relocate the top of the strut. Can the idea work if the scrub radius is different than the application in the 240sx?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

izzmus - as I recall, the 'Suprang' project was primarily an IRS swap, with the front suspension chosen more for compatibility than for availability.

Norm

Since then I have discovered that the S14 is probably a better choice. It's hubs even share the same bolt circle for the wheels as the Ford.

The 5 lugs pattern is the same with the newer Mustangs (2000ish), however if your referring to the 4 lug pattern, they are 4x113.4 on the S13 and S14 240sx. It is slightly different from the 1990ish foxbody Mustang bolt pattern if that is what you are basing it off of.

No Bullet, it is the 5-lug of which I speak. The S13 is the 4-lug and the S14 is the 5-lug. But even that is hear-say. I've yet to verify that info for myself.

Aren't there kits to convert the early Mustangs to R&P? FatMan Fab, or one or the other of the rodder shops if my memory serves.

I'm curious if you are going to add a crossmember between the frame rails, like under the motor mounts? My sons were into Maverick V8's and that always seemed to be a weak area of the chassis. The shock towers can simply twist the frame rails if you stiffen the suspension. A crossmember would provide an easy place to mount the R&P.

I highly recommend subframe connectors if you haven't already done that.

Hi Ross. You have obviously "been there done that", at least to a degree. I don't know what the hertz of an old 'Stang is compared to newer cars, but I am sure it's structure needs help. If I add a steering rack I will need a crossmember to which the unit will mount. Many of the aftermarket setups use a GM J-car steering rack because it's unusual design lends itself to many applications. And regarding those aftermarket kits, many guys on the VMF (vintage mustang forum) site have bought them and nearly all have application issues or design problems. Some like the installation but have other issues like big increases in turning circle. So I intend to go where no man has gone before. Words I'll probably live to regret!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back