Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspension polymerisation of styrene

Status
Not open for further replies.

asaramito

Chemical
Jul 21, 2008
NL
Hi

I have a problem of loss of styrene in my suspension polymerizationn.

I use, styrene, BPO , SDS to stabilize ration polymer, water phase: 1/15

I always end up with a layer of styrene after a few hours of reaction. meaning that I loose 60% volume of styrene!!!

can someone help me to get a better yield?

thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to Odian in Principles of Polymerization normal water:monomer ratios between 1:1 and 4:1. This means you are way outside the norm.

As you are using SDS as stabilizer it sound more like an emulsion polymerization than suspension where polymeric stabilizer (that don't form micelles) are used (e.g. PVA, hydroxypropyl cellulose).

Why are you doing this polymerization? That might enable us to give better advice. For example perhaps bulk polymerization or in solution would be better options for you.

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell

Thank you very much, that could explain, you are right, although with the process I use it will be difficult change this ratio.

Do you think adding styrene to the water to saturate it could be on option?

As far as the name of suspension polymerization, I agree it isn t really one, but it isn t an emulsion polymerization either as the initiator is in the oil phase and not in the water phase....anyway what ever we call it, i d like to get this process going.... :)

It's still not clear why you don't use bulk or solution polymerisation. They are much simpler.

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back