Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspension set-up for AWD Vehicle for Drag Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

hata1

Civil/Environmental
Oct 21, 2005
MY
Would appreciate very much if anyone could line up some good tips for a suspension set-up for drag race purpose for an all-wheel drive sport cars such as Mitsubishi Lancer Evo3, DSM Eclipse, etc. These cars are of independent Mcpherson suspension all round from factory. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

first you can look at any of the import/sport compact car magazines and see what the fastest guys are running. I know Dave Burshur (i don't know if i spelled that last name correctly) is a very reputable DSM racer and mechanic. However, a friend of mine has an early 90's mitsu. galant vr-4 with new internals, bigger turbo, etc., it's very powerful yet he cannot spin all four tires unless the road is soaking wet and even then its not like he can spin them all the way down the road; he's lucky if he goes 20 feet. My point is that on an awd car, the suspension is far less important because the suspension is not what is going to keep you from spinning your tires--the awd system is doing it for you.

From I have been been told, some squat at the rear is good for the purpose of equal weight distribution between front and rear wheels for a full-time AWD(esp DSM) which has its engine power equally(assuming a fully welded center diff) distributed over the front and rear wheels. When stationary, the weight of a DSM is heavier in front than in its rear and thus some weight transfer to the rear may improve traction and 60 foot. Is this correct?

I would think the answer is totally dominated by the behaviour of the transmission, especially the centre diff, and that of the tires. Withou that you are just parroting other people's solutions.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Apart from the almost insignificant change in CG height, squat (or rise) affects only the weight transfer transients. In other words, squat will initially remove a portion of the rear tire loading as the rear of the car is accelerated in the Z direction and then the total loading will oscillate until chassis motion is damped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back