Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2005 - Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZellers

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2004
US
OK. We just downloaded the SW2005 Pre-Release 2 version to try something on the new MoldFlowXpress feature. Well, I am glad it is inthere, but it is as watered down as COSMOSXpress.

My beef is with the new trim feature. It seems they felt the need to use a CADKEY style selection instead of the tried and true SW 2004 and earlier point and click. Here's where I ran into a problem: Draw a circle with a pair of lines thru it just like a do not enter sign (circle with slash). Then trim the pieces of the circle between the lines....you can't do it. it won't trim a closed sketch entity!!!!! WTF?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OOPS, sorry. I found out you need to use the "to nearest" option. Still a little clumsy compared to the current version.....

Maybe is is just me but i love the new trim functionality and feel it is way stronger than SW04. I use the power trim optin and just drag through whatever i want to trim..works in all situations except when extending. I like that it will alway stay in that mode and you do not have to pick power trim each time as well...

Again it is just me but i think it is far improved.

I agree w/DanielGraham. I have the trim and extend commands mapped as keyboard shortcuts anyway (everything that I use all the time is mapped on the number pad). It's different and will take a small amount of time to get used to, but will typically result in fewer clicks/operation.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back