Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2005 SP0.0 how safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macPT

Mechanical
Oct 22, 2002
PT
Hi all

As an experienced CAD user and Design and Development manager, I never use the first releases of software to work.

The thing is that I've been testing SW2005 and it has some improvements with significant impact in our work.

So I am trying to compare the risks and the benefits of an imidiate transition from SW2004 to SW2005. I personally didn't detect any problem until now.

Does anyone experienced problems (speed, bugs, compatibility,..) with SW2005? How safe Sw2005 SP0 is?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally I would say 2005 is really pretty safe. The biggest problem I have encountered is text font issues. I use Arial Narrow font and the letters run into each other because the spacing between letters insn't correct. Unfortunately for us this is a big enough problem to not install 2005 SP0.0 for production. Other fonts don't seem to have as big a problem as the Arial font but updating all our current drawings and changing our templates over to use another font really isn't an option. After using 2005 since beta 1 up until SP0.0 this is really the only issue I have found that keeps us from installing.

The only problem I found so far is with Consigurations. If you use a DT to make Configs the Option "Suppress Features" is automatically unchecked. If you make add a Config manually that option is and should always be checked.

The other problem that I have not been able to nail down yet is with Textures and configurations. I have been finding that if I specify only certain configs have this texture, then it should only be on those configs. But out of 34 Configs, half of them have that texture applied. What makes this more strange is that not I only picked 4 configs and it changed it for say 10-12 of them. But the others are fine. If the Specify for Config didn't work then it should have made it for the configs. But that wasn't the case at all. It made for the configs I told it too, just some configs went ahead and excepted it too.

Still working on that one.

Otherwise it's stable. I have a single crash in 3-4 weeks of using it and that was the old click ahead while SW is working unhandled error.

If I think or find anymore I'll post them.

You should really test SW05 throughly! Download the Website version and run some of your models through it. Our Opinions are not going to tell you much then what we have already seen and found. You should test your products in it to make sure there are not any major bugs or flaws in your processes. You might find something that we would not see.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

I have the downloaded version too. I suppose that this version is identical to the CD version, except the fact that will not accept new SP's.

Regards

MacPT the download version will except new SP's. All you have to do is do an update install when you recieve the cd's in the mail and you'll be good to go. There is a bulletin about this on the SW website.

I have found one error that is causing problems. When using parts created in 2004, the selected contours do not all come in properly for cuts & extrudes.

I found some problems in the drawing environment which causes me to wait a few SP's.
- When working with multiple (more than 1) break lines in broken drawing views the distance between the break lines is not maintained. If the distance is set to a small value most of the breaks are overlapping.
- Explode lines in shaded drawing views can not be printed. They even do not show up when the drawing is opened view only.
- When printing solid hatches the hatches are always printed in black rather than the specified color.

Unfortunately I haven't found any workarounds for those very basic issues.

SW changes text position in drawing template!

Some text is shifted to the right, making it having 2 lines instead of 1. The result is a mess.

Editing the text as no efect. I need to clear the text and creat it again.

Regards

I never experienced a crash with SW2005. This might have to do with the fact that I didn't do any intensive modeling with this version. The experience of SBaugh is one crash per 3-4 weeks (better than what I get with sw2004).

Regards

I also had a lot of crashes.
I observed also crashes when opening a sat file as assembly.
After several attemts to open this sat-file I recognized that 2005 is only crashing with a specific part template.
After recreating that template from an old 2004 template I did not had crashes anymore.

I have not had any crashing issues, but lots of stuff with new functionality not working and SP's from 2004 not yet integrated.

The revision control through PDMWorks is a bit of a disaster. I worked through a bunch of work-arounds with our VAR, but in general it does not work very well at all. Whoever created the code for the revision control has probably never made a drawing before and it really shows. If anyone out there is using the rev control let me know and I can bring you up to date with specifics. Too many issues to write down right now and I'm waiting from feedback from the VAR and SW on a fix time.

Generally 2005 is stable, but SW corporate will be feilding questions on bugs for the next 2-3 months.

wtait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back