Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2006 Flat Pattern Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulnKY

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2004
US
I started using 2006. When you place a flat pattern in a drawing the bend direction and angle are placed on the bend lines. The problem is the angle is the sweep of the bend rather than the resulting angle of the bent piece.

For example, a piece that ends up with a 45° bend, calls for a 135° bend in the flat pattern.

I have tried to edit bendnoteformat.txt to accomplish this with no luck.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PaulnKY,

Do you have a formed print as well as a blank (flat) print? The reason I ask is is there a need for showing the bend angle on the flat drawing. Our blank prints only have dims for 2D geometry. The formed drawings have all angle dimensions if necessary. We do not dimension 90° bends.

Jeff

The angle of the sweep is what should be shown on the flat pattern. It is telling the brake press operator how much to bend the flat sheet (ie. 45° past 90°) . The resultant 45° bend is what should be shown on the formed view for inspection purposes.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Cor, The press brakes we have, you input the finished flange length and the formed angle, not the sweep. so we like to put the number on our drawings that the operators need to input. A small thing that eliminates a lot of expensive mistakes.

What I have done is edit the bendnoteformat.text so all that shows is "UP" or "DOWN", which is really the key info, especially on the more complex parts. I'll have to keep showing the angle on a profile view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back