Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2006 vs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

metman

Materials
Feb 18, 2002
US
I have a seat of SW 2006 at home.

New job with 2011. No need yet to use SW because I am only in the info gathering stage for new project and expect to be taking SW 2012- 4 day training at my expense in February.

I just want to get my feet wet and open a NEW SW 3D model and dinker a bit. SW 2011 help only wants to show me how to open an existing model or dwg.

In SW2006 when I click on open, it gives me a choice of new model, dwg, etc.

SW 2011 help does not seem to understand the word “new” like it did in 2006. Help in 2006 was very helpful.

When I say, “new” I mean starting from scratch that I want to generate a NEW model where one chooses a plane, opens a sketch, extrudes, etc, etc.

I looked under FAQ's but found nothing there.

Need some really basics step(s) that I am apparently overlooking.

How do I get SW2011 to let me OPEN a NEW model?

Design for RELIABILITY, manufacturability, and maintainability

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Metman

To start a new drawing in solidworkd '11 you need to click new under file. Then a pop up window should open listing your options for the file type.

You should have 3 basic file types available at first start up.

Part, Assembly, Drawing.

select the one you want and click ok. This should start you in the 3 axis iso view that you want so you can create and try out 2011.

Good luck

You'll want to study up on templates and default file locations, too. The good help is online, now.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Best place to start is with the built-in tutorials;
Help > SolidWorks Tutorials (maybe called Online Tutorials in 11) > Getting Started

Working through all the tutorials will take quite a few hours, but will be well worth the time spent.

Yes guys thanks I know about tutorials and templates etc and will review all that later.

In 2001 I made the very first dwg template and dwgs for the Kodiak Airplane, also the first assy dwg, designed the first aileron assy fixture serving both right hand and left hand assy's, final design of flap fixture, etc, etc.

I finally figured out why I was being so stupid here.

At the top of the screen it said, "SolidWorks Explorer."

I was not even in actual SW but was so enthused about the fact that SW Explorer works like Win XP for navigation where I can find things as opposed to win7 that I overlooked this simple dichotomy.

Probably SW ’12 will adopt win7 format just to tick me off.

Thanks again everyone.

"...SolidWorks can run in a novice or expert mode."

I would like to look at novice for possible use for myself or for future reference to help an actual novice.

How do I switch from SW Premium 2011x64 SP 0.0 mode to novice?

"How do I switch from SW Premium 2011x64 SP 0.0 mode to novice?"

The Novice and Advanced options can be accessed at the lower LH corner of the dialogue box when opening a new document.

Thanks Cor,
I will look there. at lbrary now doing personal stuff. our computer tech engineer is ignoring me. i am trying to get set up with a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back