Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SW 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m60gunner

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2002
US
Has anyone heard anything about SW skipping a 2005+ release and opting for 2006 release instead?

Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jim,

They were originally thinking of 2005+, but it looks like it will be 2006 instead. They showed SW 2006 at SW World in January to the users, it's no secret that it will be out this summer. They aren't necessarily skipping a release, just changed the name of what it was going to originally be. Any reason for the question? The last plus release was 2001+.

I haven't had any luck installing SP1.1 - it gives me an "invalid installation" and tells me to reinstall SW.

I have noticed that we have not seen a lot of SPs, and I know that SW needs them.

Just wondering -

Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

I would recommend uninstalling as it sounds like a corrupt install. If uninstall does not work, I recommend using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft to wipe it clean. Also delete your directories and remove the reg key entries in Current User and Local Machine to clean off the system, then re-install SP0.0 and then apply SP1.1. Did you happen to apply the Windows Installer Hotfix if your running SP2.0 for Windows XP. It could be a lot of things and this will give you some items to start.

I wouldn't disagree that more service packs are needed, but the holdup was due to the Windows Installer glitch that Solidworks had to wait for a fix on from Microsoft. Sp 2.0 should be out shortly. Many people think 2005 just came out, but it's actually been out 5-6 months. By the time 2006 is out we'll probably be on sp 4 or so. Are there issues you have that have been assigned an SPR that your waiting on a fix for? Sounds like your install is not up to snuff.

just started the cummunication today with the VAR, but I assume the recommendations that will follow are the same - reinstall and try again. That takes a while and with projects running like they are, I don't have time to keep trying - I just stick with SP 0.0 and work with it. Maybe a late night/weekend job.

I was hoping for a new release, and really haven't thought about the fact that 2001 was the last "+" release...

Anything cool in 2006? Any site/links that may give me a better view?

I have a lot of issue lately with MS Windows XP SP2. I will run the Clean=up utility...

And yes, SP 1.1 has some fixes that I wanted.

Thanks for the info!

m60gunner, kinda gettin' ahead of yourself?? I would try to fix my install and get off sp1.1 before I worried about a new release. If the VAR said to uninstall and reinstall, they might be thiking that same thing that some of us are, bad original install. If your having issues with XP sp2.0 then there may be some other issues with your system, not necessarily Solidworks. If you perform the steps I mention above I think you'll be able to set Solidwork straight. if issues exist beyond that, I would think your O/S or machine need a good cleanin' :) Take 'er easy & good luck.

ctopher - nice icons! you are right - jumpin' ahead of myself
sworks - you are right - gettin' ahead of myself. Never had these issues before, new company, new PC, I try never to blame SW, but...

Thanks for the advice!

How did this thread go from:
m60gunner said:
Has anyone heard anything about SW skipping a 2005+ release and opting for 2006 release instead?

To this:
m60gunner said:
I haven't had any luck installing SP1.1 - it gives me an "invalid installation" and tells me to reinstall SW.

I have noticed that we have not seen a lot of SPs, and I know that SW needs them.

Just wondering -

This should have been a new thread and not winthin the same one, because the subject was not the same.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

ctopher ... you should post that as a seperate
ttype2.gif

[cheers]
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies faq731-376
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520