Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2007, 2008 on the same machine? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my limited experience (I help do IT support for a small design team rather than any actual SW use) the problem isn't having 2 or more versions installed.

The problem is that inevitably someone opens and saves an assembly, also saving all the components, rendering them unuseable in all older versions.

At least thats what has happened in the last 2 years - lead designer suggests someone install and test the new release and after a couple days the change is enforced as drawings have been saved in newer version and its either write off x days work or install the new version..

A complete backup should be made onto separate media (in case of such 'accidents') BEFORE installing a new version.

Also a separate copy of selected products should be made for testing with the latest version.

[cheers]

I agree with Eric. I initially had the 2 versions installed to the same location, then had to uninstall and reinstall to different locations because of Toolbox issues. I'm running both 2007 and 2008 SP3.0 now simultaneously with no problems.

Are there any issues with the licenses that need to be adressed?

Now that they are tracking how many installs are on each license my concern would be making one of my 2007 seats inoperable with a new 2008 install.

I currently run 2007 at work and also have the home use license. I will be putting 2008 on my home machine to play with but will still need both of my 2007 installs to work.

Providing the multi-installs are on the same machines (at home and at work), there should be no licence problems. The problem would arise if you tried to install on a 3rd computer.

[cheers]

Thanks for the info.

Both 2007 and 2008 will be on the same machine.

I just need to be carefull, like has already been said, about not getting files mixed up.

Another thing that might help is running the "conversion wizard" in Solidworks shortly after installing a new version. The wizard creates a "Solidworks Conversion Backup" folder in which everything is saved as the prior Solidworks version. This also makes a nice "aw sh**" backup folder that can be used if any files are accidentally modified or deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back