Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2007 SP4.0 Causes Computer Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

hev125cc

Aerospace
May 29, 2003
US
I just upgraded from SW 2007 SP2.1 to SP4.0 and my computer immediately started crashing. Using SolidWorks caused it to crash in a few seconds. Using other programs even caused it to crash in a few minutes.

Tech support recommended a complete unistall including all registry references. This didn't help. It still crashes no matter what program I use.

Everything worked well when I had SP2.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If other programs also cause crashes, I doubt it is or was being caused by SW, although something obviously happened during the install.

Was the AV disabled during install?
How did you do the complete uninstall and registry clean?

faq559-507
faq559-908
faq559-488

What are your computer specs?

[cheers]

Which video card and driver are you using? A mismatch on one of those can be a cause of instability, even if things were working fine in the past.

No, I'm pretty sure McAfee was running during the install. I don't remember explicitly turning it off. What problems might this have caused?

The uninstall was performed through "Add & Remove Prgrams". I just went through and removed each package (i.e. SW, Cosmos, Edrawings, etc.).

3.4 Ghz P4
3 Gb ram
256mB 3D Labs Wildcat VP880pro video card

FYI,
This is the third time I've attempted to write this response before my computer crashes.

Thanks for the responses.

-Ryan

On my computer McAfee could NOT be turned off permanently for installation. No matter what we did, it would come back on after about 2 min. We ended up by completely removing McAfee, doing clean installation and then re-installig McAfee.

Is there anyway to PERMANENTLY turn off McAfee for the installation ?

jacek0841 ... you may have to go into the registry to remove the startup entry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Then reboot. Restarting McAffee after installation of SW should reset the registry entry.

[cheers]

I've told my in-house computer "guy"... both here & at my last employer... that AV's need to be turned off during installations.
Every time I was told to leave it on & it would not cause problems.

Jack L Tate said:
Right-click. It's friggin' magic!
FAQ376
Windows XP / Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000 / SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2 / SpaceBall 5000

I have been having Solidworks crashes with Solidworks 2006 through this version of Solidworks 2007 SP4.0. CATI and Solidworks said it was my Video Card We bought $1500 worth of video cards to solve the issue. To now ones surprise it still Crashes. Solidworks said from the RX I sent them it is still the Video Card crashing it but all the hardware is approved by Solidworks. They are now having me try a new video driver that has yet to be approved to fix the issue.

I am running it on a Dell Optiplex GX620
4 Giggs ram
Quadro FX Video Card
Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GH CPU

Trust me this system is not fast by any means but is within the specs for the software but still crashes. I installed the new driver yesterday and I will see how it goes. this has been going on for over a year now and they still can't figure it out unless this video driver does it. If it wasn't for this hangup and the fact that it runs slow we would probably have more systems running Solidworks in the office.

SolidDesign ... Without knowing more specific details it's hard to say what is causing your crashes.

Is all your RAM known to be good?

What types of files cause the crash? (Parts, assys, drawings, small, large, complex, simple)
Are Sweeps or Helixes involved?

Did you uninstall and install the video drivers correctly?

Have you tried all the suggested remedies listed above?

Are you using XP Pro (x32) with SP2?

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back