Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2009 Colors and Appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmb042

Geotechnical
Apr 28, 2008
US
I want a part to be white. When I open the appearance property manage and select white color for the part, I get a slightly lighter shade of gray (the default color). In 2008, this usually meant I had a color set for the feature or surface as well. This isn't the case here. Least not that I can tell. I have tried setting different appearances, it might add a texture, but the 'graying' out still happens.

Can anybody help me out here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks that does seem to effect it somewhat. But it doesn't seem to be the root of the problem. Also, having an issue with textures. I had a brass part with a knurl. In 2008 the knurl was brass colored, now it is the default. The surface with the knurl doesn't seem to have color options. I do not use real view.

From what I can tell from other sources, 2009 eliminated the old color and texture functionality and added it to the photoworks appearances. This is unfortunate because I don't have a real view compatible card, and I was satisfied with the previous functionality.

The colors will still show up without a RV compatiable card but they won't have reflections, self shadows, things like that. They will look more like the standard SW colors.

White has always shown in a gray color for me. The issue with not being able to color the knurling texture is a limitation (or regression) of the "new" way of doing things.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
Eastern Region SWUGN Representative SW 2007 SP 2.0

I managed something of a workaround. Looks a little off, but acceptable, and only 5 times the work.

You can find the old textures in /solidworks/data/images

I made a copy of the texture and opened it in snagit editor, did a fill with the color of my housing with a 75% tolerance and 50% transparency. Then did a stretch intensity. Browsed to the new texture in the appearance property manager.

You could get a free version of snagit 7 just for giving them an email at one time. I used 9 in this case not sure if 7 has the same options and I am sure something like photoshop would work much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back