Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2011 Most reasonable (< $úÇ5,000) Graphics card and processor for V large assemblies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty10

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2011
GB
I'm looking to spec a new works Desktop computer and I want to get value for money but not pay through the nose for something that only offers incremental advantages in performance.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had to buy new computers recently and I had a really hard time figuring what is a large assembly and where it becomes a very large assembly. And how to come up with the best value versus performance. I hope you will have better luck than me. At least what I'm sure of now is that the CPU is really the focal point for performance in solidworks so make sure you get the best single core speed possible, a lot of ram and finally an SSD drive. Then and only then spend the rest of your money on the graphic card.

If you have access to the solidworks forums there are very useful post for choosing the best specs.

Happy shopping.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick your words have been heeded. Currently I'm looking at intel Core i7 3770k with a Nvidia Quadro FX4000 graphix card and 16Gigs of RAM, and I'm looking into the solid state drives, anyone tried a similar system. I'm sure it will be much better than my current system W3503@ 2.4GHZ with NVidea Quadro FX580, which crashes often with large assemblies and is extremely slow.

Simply do a Google search for "Charles Culp SolidWorks", and you will find great info on great performing machines for well under $5000.

Jeff Mirisola
Director of Engineering
M9 Defense
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back