Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2013 overlapping windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

metman

Materials
Feb 18, 2002
US
When the Document Properties dialog is on the screen, some of the bottom portion of the DP window is covered by the win 7 task pane. In other words, the DP window is slightly too large for the screen and the arrow cursor cannot access the OK, Cancel, Help buttons because they are underneath the task pane. I can grab the top of the DP window and drag it around but cannot drag it up because it is already at the extreme top of the screen.

Any suggestions?

Design for RELIABILITY, manufacturability, and maintainability

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Changed from (1366 x 768) to (1360 x 760) not much cahnge but still could barley click on OK button as with 1366 but change to 1280 x 760 the OK button was totally hidden.

Monitor is Dell M4600 Precision Laptop

1366 x 768 is native Res as far as I know.

We are on vacation out of state so I left my data sheet for what I bought at home but I bought this laptop based on the graphics card and driver needed for SW 2012 as recommended by my SW vendor.

I will guess that you can tell me how to find the graphics card and driver info on my computer. I looked all through Control Panel but could not find it.

operating system in windows 7 ultimate

According to an online spec sheet, the graphics is probably an nVidia Quadro 2000M, which should be OK for SW providing the correct driver is used.

The SolidWorks Rx tool should report which card and driver are installed.

Thanks for your help Cor.

I found the SW Rx online i.e. In Microsoft Windows, click Start > SolidWorks <version> > SolidWorks Tools > SolidWorks Rx.

I do not have the Tools tab or the other tabs that I am used to seeing on upper left of SW 2006 and 2012. Tomorrow I will try to get some help from a computer repair shop here where we are visiting.

The computer guy in Fredericktown, Missouri said it is a SW problem not windows which is no surprise. however he did find out how to reveal the menu bar containing (File Edit Insert Tools Windows Help). It is at the very top of screen underneath the icons for (new open save print etc). With the cursor hovered over the extreme upper left on the DS SOLIDWORKS Logo the menu (File Edit Insert Tools Windows Help) appears.

Under Tools there is no SolidWorks Rx option.

After hovering on the Dassault SolidWorks logo & the File-View-Tools-Help menu, click the thumbtack icon to keep the menu open.

The Rx tool can be found at Start > All Programs > SolidWorks 2013 > SolidWorks Tools > SolidWorks Rx or in the Task Pane when SW is open.

It sounds like SW assumed that you would have more pixels in the vertical direction than you have. You can try:
Setting the taskbar to auto hide.
Dragging the taskbar to the left or right edge of the screen. (This has been my preference since before wide screen monitors).
Use the tab key. If you click around on the "System Options" or "Document Properties" text, you can get them to highlight (have a dashed box around them). When they are highlighted, pressing tab cycles the focus to the OK, Cancel and Help buttons. So tab then enter gives OK, and tab, tab, enter gives Cancel.

Eric

CorBlimeyLimey,
OK the thumbtack worked-thanks
And I found the Rx through the Start>etc

System Manufacturer: Dell
System Model: Precision M4600
Card Manufacturer:
Card Model: ATI FirePro M5950
Your Current Driver: 8.14.01.6210
Diagnostic Results: Your graphics card is supported, but the driver is out of date. If you are experiencing issues with your system, you may want to try the latest driver.

Can you help me to find out how to download the latest driver so that I can try it?

EEnd,
I will look at your suggestion later. Have to leave now for my wife’s family reunion. -- Thanks

CorBlimeyLimey,
I followed your directions. The up to date driver listed for my graphics card is 8.851

Next I went back to SW Rx and clicked on Download Latest Driver.
The following came up with the option to run or save:

ATI_MULTI_DE…exe 380 MB

Should I Run or Save?
Sorry to be such a dunce and I really appreciate you walking me through this.

Should I Run or Save?
Use the Save option if you want to store the driver. Use the Run option if you don't.
Either way you will be asked to run the executable so the end result is the same.

I usually use the Save option to make sure it downloads OK, then install (run), and delete the download afterwards ... to save space.

CBL,
I saved, ran, and insatlled.
During install, an error window appeared and said a failure had occurred.
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 RedistributableFinal Status" was in process when the error window came up. Please notice that this shows up as failure third line from the bottom of fourth parargraph on the View Log report below.

I clicked OK and it continued to install then it said, "Failure ocurred during installation
View Log
Finish
Following is the report that came up when I clicked on View Log:

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
08/26/13 19:02:34

Hardware information
Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0x6740
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x04a3
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1028
Other hardware

Existing packagesATI Catalyst Install Manager
AMD APP SDK Runtime
ATI Display Driver
HDMI/DP Audio Driver
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
Catalyst Pro Control Center

Packages for install
ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.825.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
ATI Display DriverFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.851.0.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 RedistributableFinal Status: Fail
Version of Item: 10.0.30319
Size: 9 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0xaa90
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x04a3
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1028

Error messages
Application Install: install package failure!

Oh, Crap! It's a PITA when the install software lists a card which is different to the one actually installed. That "redistributable" thing doesn't help, either. [sad]

Only thing I can suggest is deleting the installed driver, rebooting & try installing again. If that doesn't work, call your VAR to see if they can help.

Hopefully someone else here can chime in also.

Radeons worked just fine 10 years back when they were all the rage.
Now adays for ATI you'll do best with Fire-Pro or later cards.

To find a supported card use link

As to doc props or options windows they are just dialogs not true windows.
To close either you do not need to click OK. Instead hitting Enter will close the window in most
cases if nothing else is focussed.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

mjcole,
The card is supported. Please re-read post of 24 Aug 13 14:51
It is the driver that is out of date.

I bought this laptop primarily based on the recommendaion from my SW vendor that it would have the correct Graphics card for SW 2012.

Yes I sort of understand the difference between a dialog and a window but there is no reason that the task bar should override the dialog and maybe their are other issues with SW 2013 if the driver is not up to date.

Next I will attemnpt to explain what I do know and what I don't understand so please no more posts until I sort that out which will take some time.

Like your sign-off says, "It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Maybe you meant, thread rather than Forum. No need to reply and thanks for your attempt to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back