Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 98 on Win XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken2

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2003
CA
Have to dig out some old SW 98 mold models although we no longer use SW here. I can install our old seat on a station except Windows XP is the the only OS available- SW98 won't run. Any ideas, besides MASSIVE REMODELING!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[idea] Try running XP in Win98 emulation mode.

Browse to your SolidWorks.exe file, right click and select properties. On the compatibility tab, check the "run in compatibility mode" check box and then select Win98 from the drop down box.

Many older programs I have at home run perfectly this way when XP reacts negativly with an older program. SolidWorks didn't include XP support until 2001SP5 and higher.

If this doesn't work, I'm sad to say, sadeyes] you're out of luck. [flush2]

That is unless someone else could open them for you .... [ponder]
and then save them in a format you could import...... [ponder]

Do you need an e-mail address? [wink]

Remember...
"If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet."

Well...
On the fourth or fifth try loading SW on the machine it simply worked, (not in EMU mode) and has worked just fine since, though I don't use it much (ProE guy, but SW is pretty damn sweet to work I have to say). I did go in and play with "run in Emulation Mode" in XP (a nice feature I have to say) and cleaned the disc really well, and that was about it. If there are any problems in the futur, you'll be sure to here from me ;)

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back