Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW aborts when trying to open new part in assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiwindsurf

Mechanical
May 23, 2006
US
Thanks for those who replied to my last question.

I have a 2005 educational version, I am trying to follow the online tutorial. In the "advance design" lesson, which is a door hinge, after I put the two hinges together, the next step is to insert a pin into the connection. Here the tutorial will ask you to open a new part, following is the instruction:

Click New Part on the Assembly toolbar. Type a name for the new component, such as Pin.sldprt, and click Save.

I can't find the "New Part" on the Assembly toolbar, so I click on the tutorial, then it pops a "New Part" icon on SW, but with an asterisk on it (This is something that other icons don't have). When I type the new part name and try to save, it aborts. Reliably. Predictably. Annoyingly. Exasperatingly.

What could be wrong? I can't following this tutorial!

skiwindsurf

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the hinge an assembly and the tutorial wants you to create the pin (new part) within the assembly?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

yes. The hinge is an assembly, and tutorial wants me to create the pin (new part) within the assembly. (I repeat your sentence to make it clear.)

skiwindsurf

In SW Help, do a search for "creating a new part", 8th title down on the left will be "Creating A Part In An Assembly".
Dbl-click on it.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

Thanks for your info. I restart my computer, follow the instruction (this time by insert->component->new part) , and it still aborts "due to unhandled error", and ask me to contact support representative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back