Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW CRASHES AND IS SLOW TO SAVE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindseyAC

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2009
US
I am using SW 2008 and it crashes a lot and takes about 4 minutes to save. What would cause this? Here is my computer info: 2GB Ram NVDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It could be any number of things. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open task manager if you are using Windows XP. Click on the performance tab and that will show you how much cpu/memory is being used. If you do this before you open SW2008 then you can see how much resources it is using. If you have Vista or Windows 7 then 2 GB RAM will most likely not be enough. Also, what processor/s are you using? SW uses a lot of cpu so I would say you need a dual-core at minimum. If it crashes a lot, there is a chance you have a registry issue.

Are you on a 32-bit operating system? If so, I'd recommend using the 3GB switch in your system.ini. Likely your computer is running out of RAM and is on the verge of crashing.

Bascially just add this to the end of it:
/3gb userva=2900

If the 3gb switch doesn't help, get a 64-bit OS, and get more like 6gb ram. I bet all of your problems would go away then.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Make sure you Video driver is the proper one. I have been having problems myself recently on m,y 64=bit at work and it was a video driver... of course I didn't update it change it myself. HTe IT staff has it setup to auto install.... ARGGGH

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Well, I found out my problem was caused by a helix I had on a ballscrew drawing. I guess a helical thread can cause a lot of problems on old machines. My company still wants me to draw it like that, even tho it is a purchased part and just supress it while I am working on it. But when I did supress it, my problems went away! Thanks for all the input!!!

Lesson Learned: As part of the troubleshooting effort always check Tools -> Feature Statistics for a check on what is taking the most time to regenerate.

- - -Updraft

I just had this problem, literally an hour ago with a pretty large assembly. Normally I work from the H:\drive and either create parts on it or pull parts from our shared X:\drive. I'm not sure exactly what was happening, but I finally did a "save as" to my C:\drive then shut the program down. I reopened the assembly and did another "save as" back to my H:\drive, overwriting the original assembly --> problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back