Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Hangs When Opening A Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjason71

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
US
This happens 50% of the time. I work on an assy then open the drawing for that assy and SW hangs on the drawing load. I can see the drawing on the screen but there is no info in the feature manager. There is no activity from the CPU either.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of our designers had the same problem. What I did for him was double click on a swOptions setting file of one that I knew worked for someone else.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP3.1
PDM Works, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

rjason71, that happened to me too with SW2007 SP2.2. I sent an Rx to my VAR but he couldn't figured out the reason. He thought it might be our network. After I upgraded to SP3.0 the problem went away. I am using a Dell Precision WS 490 with dual CPU and Windows XP x64. The "hangging" problem was with both SW x32 and x64.

This has happened to me before. A lot of times I can click the little "X" in the upper right hand corner, and it closes out of it. Not the big one to close Solidworks, but the little one for the drawing file window. If your CPU flatlines, there's no waiting it out.

I noticed my computer doing this whenever I tried to open a drawing in Large Assembly Mode. Lightweight didn't seem to bother it as much. But my drawings were of huge assemblies, which may not be your case.

--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

UPDATE:

SP3.1 - I Load drawing "XX", SW hangs, need to CTR-ALT-DEL to kill SW.

Installed SP4. I Load drawing "XX". I get the following error message:

"Solidworks encountered an error opening the document.
Please contact your local Solidworks support representative for help in troubleshooting this problem."

Fortunately I don't have to kill my instance of SW.

I have no idea if this thread is still active. I have a user with similar problems when opening large drawings. We are however running SW 2006 SP4.1. I stopped SW from automatically opening drawings in Lightweight mode and althought the drawing takes a few minutes to open it does so successfuly.

His SW is still deathly slow when opening drawings and I intend to reapply our companies standard settings some point today.

Dell Precision 380
2GB RAM Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2800 MHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI
Windows XP Pro x64

20 other users can open the dwg with the same system specs so I am not concerned in those respects. I verified the graphics card and ensured appropriate drivers as well. I do have access to SP5.1 but we had problems when we deployed it and had to roll back the few machines we tested.

Earlier I suggested using the /3GB switch assuming you were using x32. Now that we know it is an x64 OS, hopefully you are aware that you should NOT be using it.

Have you cleaned out the temp files recently?
Have you cleaned the inside of the computer recently?
Have you copied the SW settings from a known good machine to this problem one?
Was this machine one of the testers for SP5.1?

[cheers]

Yes I am definitely not using the 3GB switch. I have cleared the temp files, defraged, and cleared the recently used programs, data etc. If you mean clean the inside as in dust its a fairly new machine and is not bad. This machine was also not one of those upgraded to SP5.1. I have also increased the paging file to 8192/8162. I also ensured the network drivers were up to date and verified the port settings on the switch. This was all to no avail.

I have not copied the SW settings over and as I mentioned before I intend to do so at some point.

Also on my list of things to check are the ODBC Settings. I want to ensure that they are in the ODBC 32-bit/System DSN.

I may try a repair install or an uninstall/reinstall of SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back