Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Keeps freezing every 30 seconds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDpru

Mechanical
May 16, 2007
US
Hello,

I have a problem here at work and my IT guy is stumped at the moment.

As I use SW 2006 SP5.0, the program will freeze up intermittenly for about 15 seconds. If I focus on another open program and then refocus on the frozen SW, the screen goes black and there are random white borders around the now unresponsive SW window.

Has anyone experienced this? I just got a new computer and it is still happening. It happened on my old one too which leads me to believe it is a network problem.

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That screen shot isn't right.

This sounds a lot like a graphics card problem--what card and drivers are you using?

Also, how are you using the network--only to access SW files? If it's really a network issue, I'd expect it to straighten out when not using the network with SW.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Are you using the same mouse you used on the old machine?

What are the system specs for both machines?

Have you recently updated or upgraded or added any software recently?

[cheers]

the current graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro FX 3500 256 meg. The mouse is the same, a wireless internet explorer for bluetooth.

current specs:

dual core 2.0 Ghz Intel Xeon, 2 gigs ram

past specs:

Dell M90 Latptop with 1 gig ram. I can't remember what the video card was but it was SW rated.

the problem occurs irregardless of whether a file I am working with is located locally on the machine or on the network somwhere.

This problem is occuring on both the old laptop and the newer desktop. I have to believe that it is a problem with SP5.0 becuase I recently upgraded to it and noticed the problems.

I will try and install from the disks which wont be SP5.0 but SP4. something.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Adam

Now that I think about it, the freeze happens randomly when I click on something with the Bluetooth mouse, I upgraded to SP5.0 right about the same time I started using the BT mouse.

I'm going to try and remove it and see what happens before reinstalling SW.

Adam

apparenetly, Ipoint.exe version 6.1 is buggy. I disabled it after noticing that the freezes were occuring whenever i attempted to select an "entity" ie. left click on something.

I disabled ipoint.exe and all is fine now.

Thanks for the mouse pointer corblimeylimey!

It wasnt so much mouse related as it was Microsoft Crap Intellipoint 6.1 related. Manually stopping Ipoint did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back