Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW License over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkstoib

Automotive
Aug 5, 2003
US
I know that connecting to the SNL sever over VPN is not supported by SW, but it seems that people are doing it. I have VPN access to the server but apparently don't know how to relate that to the license manager on the remote machine. When I try to add the server in the little window that asks me to enter in the form 'portNumber@computerName' I am lost. The IT person at the server site is not a trained IT provider just someone who grinds at something until he learns how to do it. Does anyone know what combination of computer name/IP address/whatever will get the SNL to communicate with the remote server?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you go into your SolidWorks SolidNetWork License Manager the very first tab is License Usage and it shows the SNL server. Ours is 25734@Grover. Yours will probably also be 25734@Your_Server_Name..

- - -Updraft

Yes, I tried 25734@server_name using the computer name, IP addresss, my_remote_computer\server_name, and every combination I can think of. Since the server must be connected over VPN, I don't know how to identify it to the license manager.

I would make sure the port 25734 is available. For some strange reason it might be blocked. I am assuming you can use the SW license just fine when you are in the office. As a quick fix I would "Check out" or borrow a license from the server before leaving the office every evening if you plan on working with SW.

I have successfully used our VPN to use a solidworks network license from China. I use it at home almost nightly as well here in the states. I know it can be done.

I have added port 25734 exceptions in the server firewall (both TCP and UDP inbound and outbound) and still no joy but the error message has changed. What used to say 'Could not get information from this server:(-5,222,11004) Either the computer name and/or port number are incorrect or the server is not running or is not on the network' now says 'The license server is not reachable. Either the computer name and/or port number are incorrect or the server is not running or is not on the network.' I have checked and the license server service is running and I can check the licenses using RDP. Any ideas out there?

The server should have an SNL manager installed there, that dictates the licenses. Your local machine will also have a SNL manager on the PC. The server manager will look almost the same as the one on your local PC, but it include the "Server Administration" tab, which allows the Admin to "transfer or activate" your licenses. If that has not been completed at the server that could be the problem, but that would effect both VPN and local intranet. If server is setup properly and works when your in the office the Server is not the issue. Your local PC's SNL manager should have the link to the Server using the "25734@_server_name" and I think its case sensitive (worth checking). After you add the server, you should be able to get a license.

if you are still unable then you could be blocked. As the CAD Admin for my company I have had to block users account by using the options file in the SNL manager. I do this when people switch computers without telling me.

You could try borrowing a license while at work to get around the issue if your allowed to.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

It is likely a firewall / port issue. You may need to open some ports on the firewall of your remote computer (in relation to the network connection created by the VPN software). The VPN software may also have a set of ports that it transmits (in much the same way as a firewall). has some information on the default ports involved.

If possible lugging your remote computer to the physical location and network where the server resides may be helpful. It it does not work there you have a much simpler system to debug.

Eric

I was finally able to pull a license. I was in remote desktop and went to the license administration tab and read the log. It seems the license key uses port 25735 as well as 25734. I added exceptions to the server firewall for that port and voila'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back