Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Newbie Needs BOM help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusman

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2004
US
Here's my situation. We contract hired a guy who has somehow automated the design of our product, which is just a large box with tubes in it to exchange heat (a big radiator). He also churns out General arrangement drawings, and fabrication drawings.

We bought a copy of SW recently and I took their level 1 class (which I was told would be all I need). I am now able to draw the model and I think I have it completed, but now I need to create fab drawings. I can insert a BOM into my drawing and I can see where I can edit it, but I would like for the information to automatically populate. For instance, of the tubes I mention above, there are two configurations. One straight and one with a 180 degree bend on one end. Those drawings are their own parts. How do I get the BOM to display the information in all the catagories that I need (Item #, Qty, Description, & Material)? And how do I move the columns? Thanks for the help!

jman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am making progress - thanks for the help!

Instead of doing a weldment, I just made 4 channels of the lengths I needed and copied as necessary.

My next question is this, say I have a MC6x16.3 Structural Channel that is extruded to 48" long. the channel was created using a profile and a midpoing extrusion. How can I get the following description in the BOM with the items in brackets [] to automatically populate:

Channel, [MC6x16.3] X [48]" LG

Thanks!

To do what I think you're talking about you would need to make standard custom variables that you use in every BOM. Once you have this done, make a BOM template using these custom variables. Now all you have to do is make sure that each part has those custom variables in them. When you insert them on the page and use that BOM template it will call those custom variables up. e.g. Material, Description, etc.

This method is most effective when used with an excel based file, as you can set the variable in the excel file for multiple configurations.

I hope this helps.

Sounds like a nice concept, but do you know where I can find out information on how to do that? I will search help for custom variable and see what that does. Thanks!

J.D.

Yes! You guys are DA BOMB! I really feel like I am getting somewhere now! A lot of my parts are linked together so they'll adjust as necessary!! A few more questions...but first a lead in. I have 3 sub-assemblies and one final assembly. I need to bring two sub-assemblies together, but I don't want the BOM for one of them to show up, or at least completely in the drawing (question 2).

1. Is there any way to put a prefix on the BOM entry of each part, but still have them number incremental? ie. If I wanted all my inner casing parts to have a prefix of "C", but still have the number 1 thru x. Then if I removed a part from the assembly, the BOM would update, but there would be no gap in the numbers.

2. In an assembly drawing, is there a good way to "hide" BOM entries of a sub-assemly? I would only like to show the ones that are used to detail other parts in this particular assembly drawing.

3. How would I go about adding a custom material, which is would be a carbon steel, but A-36 grade? I know very little about materials.

Thanks!

J.D.

jesusman ... Please start new threads for new questions. It makes it much easier to find and reference when another person asks the same question later on.

Also, some of the last 3 questions have already been answered before so please read faq559-1091 and
thread559-191539

BTW, no disrespect intended, but (considering your handle) is J.D one step up from J.C.? [smile]

[cheers]

No sweat, I will start new threads. I am a member of many forums and it seems each one likes to do it differently. Thanks for the links.
Oh and J.D. < J.C., but I try hard! ;-)

J.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back