Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW on a Mac . . . again

Status
Not open for further replies.

guimba

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2009
US
Hello, I've looked at a few threads on here already - all of them closed, and all of them over two years old - regarding what seems to be a taboo subject. But my boss wants me to research buying SW2010 and running it on a Mac Pro quad-core with Fusion 3 and Windows 7. He already has everyone else on a MacBook so it seems a natural to him to keep things in the family. I'm currently using SW2008 on an old PC that was kept around just for CAD use. If anyone has any experience with this it would be appreciated. Also, SW's graphics card certifications don't jive with Apple's installation of an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. Any help here is also welcome. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NuclearNerd,

I am a Linux geek. I want a Linux version of SolidWorks. A Mac version would be a good idea too.

We are not talking speed. We are talking stability. We are talking about having your primary application work even after an OS update. We are talking about the vendor supporting you when (not if) you have a problem.

Critter.gif
JHG

Just as a fun fact/reminder...No jabs intended.

The sole reason SolidWorks was originally created and what made it what it is was being created for Windows. That was the driving factor, customers wanted a main stream CAD system that operated on what was then and is now the most main stream OS. Windows.

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
Certified DriveWorks AE
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100
Dell M90, Core 2 Duo, 4g RAM, Nvidia Quadra FX2500M
Equus (custom), P4, 3.4g proc, 3g RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX3400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back