Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Relations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian2

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
CA
Dear Folks;

I have been using Autodesk MDT for 3 years, recently I have had to learn SW 2001. Yes it's very nice. I need a little help getting used to SW relations. If I want to constrain oops! relate a pin concentrically in a bushing whats the easiest way to have the ends of the pin stick out equal distances on either side of the bushing. In MDT5 I could constrain mid of pin to mid of bushing, plus line/line.

Regards Adrian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two quick ways that I can think of...
1.) When you created the pin you probably sketch a circle and extruded it. If you used extrude mid plane you are half way home. If not just edit the definetion of the extrude and change it to mid plane. The same goes for the bushing. You can now mate the two planes. If you used revolve to create one or both of the parts you could set up center planes on each and mate them together.
One thing to remember when mating in a assembly is that you have the ability to mate not only mate faces and edges but also planes and shetch entities.

The second way would be adding a distance mate. The problem with this is if one or the other changes the distance mate needs to be changed. You could control the distance mate through an equation.

I would prefer the first example. BBJT CSWP

Adrian,

Are you working with assembly or part? I think it is assembly.

Well, first of all, if you know the distance that the pin stick out of the bushing, place an distance mate.

Second, if you make the 2 parts by the same process (mid-plane), then use smart mates to positioning them together with their origins.
Or, add a mate by the 2 origins.

I think that are the most common methods, if anyone had another idea, please, let me note.

Well Adrian, I hope that helps!
happy.gif

Dear Timoteo and BBJT;

Thanks for your suggestions, in this assembly it does make a lot of sense to make many of the parts midplane extrusions.

Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back