Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW / Threaded Pipe 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABoomer

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2014
CA
Hi There,

I am working on a separator package which has SW/Threaded pipe in some sections, as in threaded and socket welded connections on the same line.

I am wondering if the threads are bored into the pipe in the fab shop or if the pipe must be bought threaded and then cut to length to fit into the socket welded fittings?

Any clarity on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks, Boomer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just make sure that any threads used are given points of rotation (flanges or unions etc.) such that they can be tightened when they leak. Either that, or you may need to dry thread and seal weld those affected threads...

Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like it will be up to the fabricator whether to shop fab the threads onto the pipe or to order threaded pipe and cut to length on the socket weld side.

New question, can anyone tell me what "IRE" is standing for on a socket weld description that is IRE x SW???

Many Thanks.

Sorry that should read sockolet description IRE x SW. I know IRE must indicate a large main pipe size than the sockolet branch or something but I have never seen this term.

It's not how I've seen sockolets designated, but perhaps "IRE" is for "Integrally Reinforced End", i.e. complying with MSS SP-97.
Cheers,
John

Threaded pipe can be either field or shop fabricated, there are 2 determining factors, one is length of pipe. IF the length is over 12" long they can and normally are field fabricated, under that they are "store bought" with threaded ends (cheapest way), or shop fab (if you have the larger more expensive threading machine)...field threading machines need the length to be able to hang on to the pipe. Second factor, if these pipe sizes are 2" or under, then again it could be a field operation, but sizes above 2" are normally shop fab. I'm sure someone will argue with me they've seen where the field threaded 3" or 4" pipe, and that maybe so, but normal field operation is as I indicated. FYI ...I have NEVER seen (in my 38 yr.s of piping design/fabrication) where anyone put internal threads on conventional pipe. I would be interested if anybody has!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back