Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2003 Performance 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBJT

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2001
US
Does anybody have any input on the performance of 2003 yet. I have seen out in a couple of other forums that the sketcher is really slow.

I have not run into any major issues yet but I am a far cry from a power user.

Any feedback would be appreciated. The users here have started beating on my door asking when they can have it.

BBJT CSWP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solidworks has acknowledged a problem with "SmartMates" in 2003. The symptom is very slow mating. You may have better luck using "normal" mating.

It is so depressing to see that US users get far more detailed information than us Europeans (yeahyeah, I know...). If we write (cry) for help to the official SW helpdesk, we generaly get no answer at all... (though send in English) .

If you check the installed 'help (what's in a name)'-files, the explanations are very poor.

However, we are 3 designers, and we already crashed SW 2003 about 27 times, this in 6 days of use.
Our IT found some very interesting tips, nobody told us the correct way of installing SW2003. SW2001+ was also very crash-sensitive, then we changed to Compaq Evo W4000 (1GB Ram). Yesterday my machine crashed while leaving only 1,75MB Ram.

Our main problem is (we think) we do not have this many kinds of machines, but a lot of the same parts and subassemblies are used throughout them, causing temporary copies, saving troubles, 8-hour work losses.
Once a machine is build, it is not static, we still perform reviews, so changes in a later model will have to be changed in previous machines... .

The advanced component selection looks very interesting, yet for us it comes out of the blue. We were and still are trained overhere in Belgium (yep, fries), this was the first time we've even heard from it.

Can anyone get us a simple example on how it works and how you do it ? Do you not blow up bridges once you performed this action -meaning do you still have full access- ?

What can go wrong with locking and unlocking references ?? Do you not lose vital information ??

Thanks !

I have recently upgraded from SW 2001 to 2003. Twice I have created a solid and SW crashed. The fix was to upgrade the graphics card driver. Now everything seems to work great.

It seems very difficult to get a straight answer from SWX about any problems. They always recite the same litany, the cause must be: Hardware Issues, Settings, Network problems, Drivers, need more Training. Now the SWX folks are telling us not to use SmartFasteners either. Next they'll tell us to not use the program, but we are figuring that out on our own.

I have just installed 2003 with sp-1 on Win2k sp-3 on Dell Precision Model 420 1gb Ram with 32mb Video.
Engineer-1 Printing takes 60 seconds to bring up the printer, and 2 more minutes complete the send to the printer.
Engineer 2. Solidworks would not install with MS Office97.

This is two days after the install. I expect additional issues next week.
Solidworks was tested for two weeks prior to the rollout but did not exhibit these problems.

I am waiting for Solidworks to return my return my calls...

NetAdmin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back