Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2009 DVD's Arrived Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRF

Automotive
Apr 7, 2005
US
Has anyone received there SW 09 DVD's yet? I only ask because if IT gets ahold of my DVD's I will never see them so what to keep an eye out for them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CBL,

It's normal for a home connection to be far faster than a business connection. They're set up that way intentionally by the ISP. Home connections are geared towards download as that's what most people do at home. Business connections are set up normally with equal download and upload speeds.

Yet my question still remains. Why does it matter how long it takes to download? Start it and put it in the background and keep working, or start it at night before you leave and it will be there in the morning. We're comfortable waiting days for a DVD to reach its destination but we're not willing to wait a few hours for a download?

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100
Dell M90, Core 2 Duo, 4g RAM, Nvidia Quadra FX2500M
Equus (custom), P4, 3.4g proc, 3g RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX3400

Like I said earlier for me there is no logical reason to want the DVD. It just gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling when I install off the DVD vs downloading the installation files. It purely a psychological thing for me. I trust a DVD install more than a down loaded install.

I downloaded 2009 at home when it first came out and have used it without a problem. Two weeks ago at the '09 rollout the VAR indicated the DVD had files the download did not. The extra files are for PhotoView 360 which appears to give 91.3%* the result of PhotoWorks with only 10.7% of the effort, plus it is super fast.

Has anyone found the PhotoView 360 available as a download?

- - -Updraft

* 87.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Odd Updraft, both the x86 of my 09 install download and my x64 version came with Photoview 360.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, SP 0.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Joe,

That is great news. Since I received the DVD I haven't gone back to look at the download.

PhotoView 360 looks like a nice fill of the gap of not using PhotoWorks and spending a lot of time to use PhotoWorks.

- - -Updraft

sldwkmin,

My home line is faster because I pay for the faster connection. My first connection was dial-up and ridiculously slow (~2KB/s), so when DSL became available in my area I paid for the upgrade to ~60KB/s. The ISP then upgraded the line to give me ~125KB/s. Since then I have paid to upgrade again to a higher package and now get ~500KB/s.

Where I work, a high speed DSL connection is simply not available. Most we can get is ~125KB/s. We were actually paying for a 500KB/s line for quite a while and when we questioned why we weren't getting that, a search at the ISP end found that we are too far from the nearest connection point (or whatever the correct term is).

[cheers]

My DVD's have arrived. Shipped to the wrong address (another building) but they have arrived at my company. Why is it that SW can not get the addresses right?????? How many times does my VAR have to ask for the database to be updated???

I just received my Solidworks 2009 this morning. I'll do my upgrade tonight. Hopefully Vista doesn't get mad at me.

Kyle Chandler

"To the Pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the Optimist, the glass is half-full. To the Engineer, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!"

My VAR said that SWx gave the VAR's a polling and asked how they want to receive media (CD's, DVD's, Thumbdrive, web).

Turned out the majority said "web", and he was under the impression that SWx was going to get rid of all "hard" media starting in 2009.

Given a high speed connection, web makes the most sense to me. It will always beat hard copies tracking through shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back