Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2013 vs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuckabag

Petroleum
May 10, 2010
AU
Not sure if posting in the right forum, if not, please let me know and I'll move it over.

My employer currently uses SW 2013 x64 Std. Edition (SP2.0).
It seems to handle everything we need it to do which is create custom machined parts, assemblies, GA drawings and machine shop drawings, however we have let the maintenance slip (since 2014 I think!)
We are considering the switch up to 2018 version, but I'd like to know if the 2018 version allows us to create a counter-bored, threaded holes in the hole wizard, AND also multiple feature NPT threaded holes (i.e. 1/4"NPT thread with a 1/8" thru hole)
The above can be achieved with multiple hole wizards, but I'm trying to streamline our modelling process for these non-standard type holes into one process and also automating the hole-callout so that it gives us all processes needed to produce the hole in question.

Does 2018 allow the above with the advanced hole option in the hole wizard?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could answer your question, but it would be my version of what I think you're asking. Why aren't you asking a Solidworks reseller? It seems to me that would be a more reliable source. Not slamming the very good and wise resources that are available here, but do you really want to base that large a financial decision on what some guys on a forum say? Go to the actual source.

I hear what you're saying JBoggs and this wouldnt be the sole basis for converting to 2018.
Was just trying to get a feel re this particular feature without the reseller trying to jam buying the latest version and a bunch of other stuff we dont need down our throat.

Yes, the advanced hole dialog allows stacking of both the configurations you've described.

When you've created an advanced hole configuration, you can also save it as a favorite for future use.

So if you have some crazy hole with 1/4" NPT Female under a 3/4" deep counterbore with a 1/4" hole to 1" deep then a 3/16" hole thru with far side M18 straight thread 16mm deep and a 2mm spot face

Or whatever

You only have to create this feature once. Which is nice.

You also should know that there has been one major change in subscription services. Since your license has lapsed and you will be basically paying for an entirely new license. They prorate the license once you start to lapse and after 90 days your paying the full cost of a license. The $500 to get back on subscription is gone and has been for several years.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Thanks jgKRI, that's exactly what I wanted to know. We have a number of multiple feature holes that are commonly used and it would be great if we could speed up creation of these an eliminate the chance of buggering it up.

sBaugh, yeah they don't miss a trick now do they.

I'll probably get the local reseller in and see if we can get a trial of 2018 to determine if the new features are worth the kings ransom they want to charge.
Cheers all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back