Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sweep Along a Guide String and Maintain Cross Section Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim0914

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2015
US
I have attached 2 pictures. One shows my cross section and guide strings. The guide strings were created by intersecting 2 surfaces. When I do a 'Sweep Along Guide' the cross section rotates slightly by the end of the sweep. Is there something I can to to maintain that orientation of the cross section?

Thanks -

Jim Weisner
Senior Designer
General Electric Company
NX V12.0.1 MP02

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=52ab65d7-7a62-48d6-add1-601bf13d9a1d&file=IMAGE_1.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are using the "swept" command, I'd suggest looking at the various orientation methods available. Assuming the long edge of the rectangular section is parallel to the X axis and the short edge is parallel to the Y axis, I'd suggest starting with "vector direction" and choosing the Y axis direction. But other options may work better for you. Also, I'd suggest turning on the "preserve shape" option; it won't help orient the section, but it will keep the corners sharp.

www.nxjournaling.com

Cowski is right (as usual).
From personal experience, if you aren’t sweeping a round tube you need more than one guide curve.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back