Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

sweep cut using a solid as a profile 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Similar to what is shown in the soldworks demo, you can also cut along a helix with a solid body in V5. One option is to create the helix in conjunction with the Rib command.
helix_qflfdz.png

10x for reply LucasC but the shown is not exactly what i am tryng to achieve

as modeling a milling tool travelling on a 3d trajectory, the 2d shape follows the turning radius and the resultant cut is not just one swept profile.

Note how in SW we sweep a conic-cylinder body (the cutting tool) along a path and it "imprints" its shape upon. If you do simple sweep of the profile of the tool, the results will be different...

1_rtyk8l.png

how is possible such functionality (solid body sweep) to be available in SW but not in CATIA, as latter is a high end software... idk... or maybe i dont know yet for such

V5 is "pay to play". If you want the advanced features, Dassault wants you to buy more workbench licenses. The functionality to sweep a solid is in the CNC workbench and probably others. Blame the French.

Hello Fredo

Yes, i did that before i come to this forum.
Unfortunately none of the tutorials explains how to do exactly what i need - if you pay attention to the picture up it is a sweep of a solid profile (which holds in account tool radius and tool shape). This is impossible with simple sweep of 2d profile, unless one combines it with revolve at the point of the turn. but in case the path curves are not planar but three dimensional (lets say mill a slot into a drum axle) tangency inaccuracies occur.
In short - sweeping of 2d profile without further controls like profile orientation/rotation is not the same as sweeping of a 3d.

To LucasC: no my friend - i blame noone - buisness as usual... Yes i know in some machining extensions there are available such tools but when something is at the design phase, manufacturing is not about to be cosidered yet. When one needs such tools in early design stage to define shapes and etc, its kinda strange for a high end expensive product. Just from curiousity i will check in NX and creo how things are...

kind regards and 10x anyway for the efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back