Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sweep mesh in circular partition around crack tip- Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABD01

Structural
Dec 28, 2018
MD
Hi
Wish you all happy new year!

I am new here, I hope you can help me with my question: see the attachment, please

The partition around the crack tip is circular divided in 4 quarters. I want to sweep the mesh through the depth and keep it as it is in the circumference direction. this part is independent in an assembly.
As it has seam crack it cannot mesh with the bottom-up method.
tried hex-dominated & sweep mesh control. assigned the path and the stack direction. however, I still get the triangular element in the generated mesh. which ends with errors as it is not allowed to have tet element in the crack control region.
tried different meshing scenario sometimes ends with one crack tip partition has the wanted mesh but the other one has not even though I assigned same mesh control.

Thanks for your time

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d5a4bec1-b4ed-48b8-8cb5-24516e3b4180&file=crk.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

is the issue that the mesh isn't uniform through the thickness ? have you tried to mesh each curve associated with the solids ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

rb1957
Thanks for your comments
Yes, I wanted the mesh to sweep through thickness. otherwise you got a triangle elements which are prohibited (Error) in the contour region.
The issue solved by creating another partition (yellow lines in the attache) around the core (cylindrical partition) around the tip, then seed the edge of the new partition same number of elements as the one at the tip.
crk_t8l38k.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back