Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sweep Unexpected Twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

kojiai

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2013
US
I'm trying to create a basic 'rib' along the top surface of a part. However, Solidworks can't seem to correctly resolve the path and I get "Sweep resulted in topologically invalid body" error.

I have the path as a 3D sketch along the surface of the part, and the profile, a simple square, perpendicular to the path. When the sweep is created, it begins to unexpectedly twist as it moves along the path around a corner and over a curve, as shown in the pictures. I'm not sure why this is occurring, but I suspect this is causing the error, and even if it's not, it's not what I intend.

For 'options' I have Orientation set as "Follow Path", and Path Alignment type as "Minimum Twist". I have tried just about every other combination of setting without any improvement.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

NaGb-XBK_yjgLn3HDwE2Gzj5WnrLr6tOQEEdeuudmWw=w305-h207-p-no

u7oNFY5GNNwJLqIdNBBeIZJWQVfver1V53ZZ6f1oKG8=w284-h207-p-no

R5Olznwf9jaHuK_sBYFz6dLyU-Acrom9l3izvTVfClQ=w256-h207-p-no

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I seem to have uncovered the realm in which Solidworks struggles because I have a trouble at every step. For each curve I have to do a sketch on a plane, project it onto the curved surface, then convert it to a 3D sketch before I can use it. I seem to run into random problems at each phase.

Perhaps I'm just approaching this problem wrong. I want to add a 'ridge' or 'rib' along the surface to a joining part can fit snugly on it. How would other people go about adding this to the part?

I'm trying to use a second curve as a guide curve, but so far not having any success.

CorBlimeyLimey, thanks for bringing my attention to that. It's a useful second-option. However, it doesn't allow me to center the lip/groove in the way I wanted. Ideally, the ridge would run along the center of the surface. Is there another similar option for this?

Yes, it appears to have trouble navigating the arched portion. This may be because the arched portion begins to rise as it is still curving around the corner, so it's not a straight up-and-over, if that makes sense. I would still assume Solidworks to be able to navigate this geometry, but maybe I'm wrong.

JM's suggestion to apply a second sketch / curve as a guide is likely to work. Alternatively you could form the faces of your tab using surface extrusions + trimming, then knit them into a solid and combine with your existing structure.

snowshoe2, it doesn't look as though I can extrude or widen a extruded surface. Perhaps I'm missing something?

I've been trying to use a second sketch as a curve guide, but keep running into problems such as "too many entities share a point" or some other error. Not sure why, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I can re-sketch everything and it will work and then I try something else and it all falls apart and I have to start over. It's like the nexus of the universe in here!

snowshoe2, very cool trick. I'll have to remember it, thanks for pointing that out to me. Unfortunately, using this method doesn't maintain the cross-sectional area of the ridge as shown in the pic.

surfaceEx.jpg

kojiai,

That doesn't look like a thickened surface. A thickened surface should create an equal cross-section. What you show looks like an extrude with a direction vector.

Can you post the actual SW parts (or simplified versions) to work with?

CorBlimeyLimey, the pic does in fact just show an extruded surface, just happened to be when I took the screen grab. I can thicken that surface and get closer to what I'm aiming for, but the shape remains the same. The thickness of the ridge narrows as it moves down the curve.

I attached the file so you can play around with it. Thanks!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f7586429-4192-4aa4-8976-0f629d6fac18&file=Twoshot_v1-Bottom.SLDPRT
Closer than I've ever gotten, thanks CorBlimeyLimey.

Could you run me through the steps you took a bit. What was the Surface-Offset operations for?

Use the rolback bar to step through the history.

Surface-offsets 1 & 2 were create to be the trimming planes for the Zero-offset surface, but they had to be extended first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back