Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sweep with Solid (similar to ball milling operation) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

asadi2013

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2012
MY
Hi,

Is there any function that allows me to sweep a solid (ball end mill) along a guide that is similar to a ball milling operation in Siemens NX 8?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sweep a "curve" that defines the centerline of the ball-mill. This will create a sheet body. Thicken the sheet (both directions), using a value matching the radius of the ball-mill. Now, blend the edges of the resulting solid.

NX 6.0.5.3 (NX 8 Testing)
Windows 7 64

Actually i would want to have the cosmetic effect of the ball end mill at the end of the milling operation.

PhillPD could you provide a NX file for your explanation?

The drawing file given by eex23 is very closed to what i want.

However, what happens when i want to stop half way and not mill through the whole cylinder. It would have a spherical indentation on the end of the ball milling operation. The question now is how can i achieve that?

You could manually do that by using two diffirent operations. Do the original operation and stop it halfway. Then where you ended the cut create a plane and sketch the ball end again and revolve it to get the spherical indentation.

If the NC program is done in NX, you can simulate the material removal and get a facet body. This may or may not meet your requirements.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

I actually think the start should go to John Baker, as he provided the solution to me.

As for creating any NC programs, use the sheet solid to define the path, not the resulting subtracted solid.

NX 6.0.5.3 (NX 8 Testing)
Windows 7 64

Well, this is not related to NX program but i wish to know what's the best practice.

Should we leave the ball end indentation and let the CAM part handle it, or should we model it so that the CAM will follow the part?

Anyone has similar situation as here? The parts i try to model can be accomplish with some simple NC milling moves (4th axis helical moves and some tilted straight line moves) and not Splines curves to mill.

Should we simplify the modelling process, create some helical lines for CAM to follow (tool path) and then use CAM to cut the parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back