Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swept cut option

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitpaul713

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2015
US
Hi,

Can anyone help me with Swept cut option in UG? I know there is no swept cut option but is there any way around? Thanks in advance

Regards,
Amit Paul
HCL Technologies

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I have attached the pasrt which I created using solidworks Swept cut. The problem is I do not have a draft angle, I have two profiles on the both sides. In solidworks I could create a sweep using the profile, path and two guide curves and the result is easy but however in NX I could not find any option of sweep which would remove material. Please help if there is any other way?

Regards,
Amit Paul

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a5b727f5-ab34-42f5-9a95-379693edf9a5&file=Capture1.JPG
amitpaul713 said:
in NX I could not find any option of sweep which would remove material

You are probably using the "swept" command in NX. If the result is a solid body, subtract it from the target body; if the result is a sheet body, use the "trim body" command to use the sheet to cut away material from the target solid.

www.nxjournaling.com

Hi,

Yeah that is the first thing I tried out. Certainly subtract option is not working out, it shows that the body (created using swept)is a different feature and cannot be subtracted (Sorry for not quoting the exact error message) but unfortunately subtract doesnt work.

Regards,
Amit Paul

If subtract does not work, then there is something else wrong; the subtract does not need to happen in the same feature in NX. Perhaps if you posted the exact error message, we could help you track down what is happening.

www.nxjournaling.com

above you say that you attached the part, "I have attached the pasrt which I created using solidworks Swept cut. The problem"
But the attachment is an image from Solidworks .( i guess it's from SolidWorks)

?
Regards,
Tomas

Hi Tomas,

Yes that is a snapshot from solidworks. What I meant is creating such kind of part is easy in solidworks by using just "swept cut" but is there any such tool in NX like that which I am unaware of? Adding material works fine with the different sweep features in NX. However, removing material is the problem here and the subtract operation does not seem to work out(have tried quite a few times).

Regards,
Amit Paul

Hi,

I have attached the file in .step format. Could someone please help me out making this in NX without using any angle (draft angle). There is no angle input to use draft option and I only have two profiles on the both opposite faces, so what I did is I created 3D curves by joining the reference points and then used swept cut (in SolidWorks) but I cannot figure out the same in NX.

Regards,
Amit Paul

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2b2805d8-f285-4901-8940-36b288e6c219&file=example.STEP
Hi,

What version of NX are you using?

You need to draw the two profiles you want (in your case triangles), one on either end of the block.
Then you need to join the corresponding points with curve lines.
Then using the swept function select the one triangle (section) & the 3 guide curves you created (guides, remember to use "Add new set" for each line).
You should now have a solid body that you can subtract from your block.

If you want I can upload the model in NX8.5.

Hi DonNX,

I tried the same way you told at first. But unfortunately subtract doesnt work out for me. It will be great if you could upload the file in NX 8.5.

Regards,
Amit Paul

What's wrong with Cowskis model ?
It can't be done much simpler.
In case you for some reason must do it using solids instead of a sheet body and trim, you simply close the triangles, this will produce a solid body instead of a sheet, and then use subtract instead of trim body.

In this case there is no need to complicate things by using a sweep, a Ruled surface or Through curves with two sections will produce the expected shape.
remember to tick the "preserve shape" option to get as simple as possible faces / logical face division.

Regards,
Tomas

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=64d60ec4-5695-4212-8e3d-29b106c8e190&file=swept_cut_tomas.prt
Hi DonNX,

Thanks! A quick question, what did you use to join the two sketches? I was using spline to join the two sketches and then used swept command by considering the splines as guide curves. Was that the issue that I was not able to subtract?

Regards,
Amit Paul

Hi Amit,

I assume that this method worked for you?

In the one I used a line (Insert> Curve> Line).
In the second I used sketches.
In both cases I used them as guide curves.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back