Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Swimming Pool as Fire Pump Water Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

czwicky

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2011
US
I have a client who wishes to use a in ground swimming pool for the primary water source for a fire pump to serve the resort hose connections. The project is located within the Bahamas and besides the life safety issues, I can not find any code violations in using a swimming pool as a water source.

Does any here have any experience is such an issue?

Thanks,
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know someone who was able to convince the local AHJ that this was a reasonable way to go for a residential (single family) home, as there are no hydrants in the area. Climate is mild, so pool is full all year.

is there enough water?

how long will it take to refill?

and just trying to set it up for the use??

what happens when they drain the pool to work on it???

The pool will have sufficient volume as the capacity is approaching 180,000 gallons. Per the AHJ, the resort does not require sprinklers and the fire pump is strictly an owner requested item to supply hose connections at each building entrance.

Excellent questions on the maintenance issues however since the fire pump is voluntary, I doubt the owner will mind but I will state my concerns.

I've seen a pool used as secondary water supplies for high rise hotels. You just want to put something on the suction lines at the pool to prohibit things or people getting stuck to it when the pump is running.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

My concern is, will the water filled with chlorine or salt cause any permenant damage to the pipes, on a long time basis? And, maybe a backflow preventer would be a good idea.

My two cents... ;)

Will the vortex breaker and intake be on the bottom of the pool? Perhaps a cowling or recess needs with a sufficient screen needs to be made for the intake.

NFPA 20 requires that water supply shall be only dedicated for Fire Fighting System, so I think it's not allowad. However, check your AHJ for this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back