Swing Bolt & Flange Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clareok

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2011
IE
Hello!

I've to design a vessel that has a body flanged top head (see attachment). There are to be 8 swing bolts that will fix the head to the rest of the vessel for operation. Design conditions are 4/-1 Barg, 180/0 Deg C, 1370mm ID.

I really dont know where to begin with this design. We have PV Elite 2011 & Codecalc in house but i'm not sure if these can help my design.

Would be great if i could get a few pointers in the right directions.

Thanks a mill.

J.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rubber12, you are going to have to design these components using a strength-of-materials (or alternate such as FEA) approach, subject to allowables and details of fabrication per the code of construction, if any. And sell it to the AI, if any, and perhaps the customer, if any.

You won't get much help from Codecalc.

Interesting all the modelling that goes on these days, apparently in advance of design.

Regards,

Mike

rubber,
The PV Elite will help you design the vessels itself, using the girth flange design as Appendix 2 with normal flange. Then you design the swing bolts, components like bolt in shear and bending, lugs, slot design in top flange, etc. There are the swing bolt manufacturers who will give you advice how to design the bolts, since that's their bread and butter. They can help you with lug design, pin design, etc.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

Looks like the shell and head can be designed using software. The flange can be designed to the code, however you might need to tweek the rules as the bolts are outside the boundaries of the flange. Then the design of the swing bolts and their lugs is fundamental engineering sheat/bending design.

If you don't know where to start now then you are better off finding someone who knows what they are doing. For instance it looks like you are welding the lower lugs across a circumferential weld seam. Not advised and probably not allowed depending on your code.

Don't redo work other folks have done. Buy a standard, ASME-compliant closure. It will have been calculated, the calc's reviewed, tested, and used in "real life" so it has proven durability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back