Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching CAD software, pros and cons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpopkov

Mechanical
May 20, 2013
FI
Hello,
Have anyone had an experience in switching to NX from another CAD with a large amount of data to be migrated. The switching would bring to a single CAD environment instead of multiCAD.
What are the points needed to be taken in account when making a decision?
For example:
+
No need for data translation after it is done.
Single CAD environment reduces the efforts for support.
No need for making developments in multiple CAD systems
-
The drawings of a CAD system are lost, only PDFs are remaining
There are two different standard parts libraries (CAD1 and CAD2), which need to be merged.
Parametric reusable components need to be remodeled.

What are your thoughts?

BR, Alexander

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Been there, but it was from UG2 to Pro/E.

TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

standards
how much do you move and/or remodel

Training!!!!!

When do you cut off support for the old system
How large is your database of files
how large and/or complex are your designs

Did I mention training?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I hope that this planned transition is being done in coordination with Siemens PLM or one of our partners as they will have experience in how to go about doing this and can offer both advise and on-site support to get this done. And yes, this could also include training for both your users and administrators.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Talk about good timing, here's an item that might be of interest to you. Note that I've downloaded the 'kit' (2 PDF documents and a spreadsheet) but have only given it a quick glance so for.

Anyway, give it a look...

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John and Ben,
Thanks a lot for the answers.
This is not yet a planned transition, it is a very preliminary evaluation, which is about to start. The real project will be coordinated with Siemens partner.
John, the link you suggested seem to be a very useful piece of information. I will take a closer look!

BR,
Alexander.

I have supported onsite a number of such cases where companies switched to NX.
As Ben says above, put focus on training.
Another good tip is have the NX support do daily "floorwalking" among the people that migrate from one system to NX , from day one of the migration.
If the local manager says " we have been running cad for many years( in this one system), we do not need any costly training and extra cost support",
-This is a message that they will need that...

Any two cad systems has their strengths and weaknesses in comparison, NX is good at X but poor at Y in comparison to the other system.
The "poor functions" can "start riots" ( a bit over -dramatically expressed, i know) but if the floorwalker, ( the support guy) catch these questions early they will not be any issue in the long run.

All systems probably does some things differently compared to the other system, and if the user then don't know how to do a task in NX, he will try the way he did in the other system, which might fail completely. Good support which is easy to reach can/ will aid the issue before the local barbecue becomes a bush fire.
I have been through situations where a complete department had a collective negative opinion about how lousy NX was to do XYZ, and the reason was that they did it the wrong way. They had tried to replicate the methods from the other system. And no support was available. ( erh, I came in late into this particular migration, the general opinion had already settled. Bad.)

Another method i have used is that I , when doing the floorwalking, note what features and functions that the users find difficult. Then during the "transition period" i run weekly "user group meetings" ( 30 minutes sharp) where i discuss / demonstrate these functions. - ( 30 minutes is for most people acceptable to be away from their work, but since the time is limited, we need to start at the stated time and end exactly 30 minutes later. Things which we had no time for during this meeting will be covered in the next and so on.)

Regards,
Tomas

Thanks a lot Thomas. The things you recommend would be very useful when planning the project!

John, I checked the documents you provided. This makes the picture of what to expect much clearer when it comes to costs of IT services. However, the main argumentation there is based on the data translation during the design process. In our case we are trying to evaluate the department which is somewhat separate from others, the product fully done in one system.
Previously I was coming across some notable cases when a large scale companies were switching to NX (BAE Systems, Chrysler, DAIMLER). Is it somehow possible to find out what was supporting their decision making?

BR,
Alexander.

alpopkov said:
Previously I was coming across some notable cases when a large scale companies were switching to NX (BAE Systems, Chrysler, DAIMLER). Is it somehow possible to find out what was supporting their decision making?

In situation like this, it's often the case that that sort of information is hardly ever discussed publicly as it generally involves issues that most companies don't want to disclose. Now trust me, if any company who DOES make a move to NX from any sort of competitive system and they AGREE to talk about it, you'll eventually see something coming from us on this topic in terms of press releases and success stories so I were you I'd watch our public website (the link is in my signature below) for that sort of thing.

Also, occasionally you will see presentations about this sort of thing at the major User Meetings like the annnual Siemens PLM Connections Meeting (AKA PLM World) or the European Siemens PLM Connection meeting. Again, you can find information about these events on the website.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

There are also times when the parent company just wishes to consolidate there operating divisions on a common CAD/CAM system. I worked for a company that had both Unigraphics and Pro/Engineer in about an equal split across the company. Not small on either company's business as we were in the top 10 of number of seats for both UG and Pro/E. We had good corporate agreements on both sides, so pricing was similar to use either one. The division I worked for used UG and had for 15 years, including a very succesful transition to UG V10 and lots of automation tools. This division had a sister division that used AutoCAD and wanted to move up to 3D solid modeling for new products. We wanted them to go with UG to be compatible. I even went to the UG presentation at their plant and tried to blend into the group, until the UG team walked in and I know half of them already. Anyway, corporate management decided that this division was going to use Pro/E and by the way, you are switching your 35 seats to Pro/E, also. The 2 divisions were then merged and they were moved into our location along with Pro/E and Intralink which we upgraded to Windchill. 6 years later, the whole division is sold by the corporation to a Swedish company and the engineers are again changed from Pro/E to Catia. Two corporate parents and 2 CAD system changes just because corporate said to change. I left before they were sold and we still had UG and Pro/E running side by side depending on which product line it was. I have heard they even bought a new license of NX4 or 6 to handle translations and older legacy designs that they couldn't justify redesigning in CATIA. I am guessing they still have some Pro/e seats as well, since they use Windchill for all data management today.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back