Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching columns and rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webber

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2003
CA
I have converted the data collected from a 1 hour long test in my DAQ (data aquisition)system. I have collected 29 different data points. The default orientation of Excel is to put the headings across the top and the readings below this. Since I have thousands of readings this makes sense to me.

However, I have summarized the data and would like to show the readings at 0, 15, 30 and 60 minutes. With this default format, I have 29 headings and only 4 rows of readings.

My question is this.......................Is there a quick and easy way to switch the headings and rows? Ideally I would like the headings to be in the left side column and the values to the right. This way I can have 29-30 rows and only 4 columns which provides for more legible printing onto a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper in portrait mode.

I have tried rotating the headings to read vertically. This improves the layout, but does not provide me with ideal results.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if i understand the situation...

to simply switch or swap columns (headings) and rows, you will need two sheets. one sheet with original data.
1) copy the original data (select all original data)
2) navigate to the 2nd sheet and utilize the paste special command, selecting values & the transpose options. this will transpose the column and row data.

i recommended the two sheets simply due to quantity of data you have. you may accomplish the same task on the same sheet. the choice is yours.
-pmover

You may also take a look at the pivot table options (under Data in the menu)

Cheers,
Joerd

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Guys, I had the same problem as Webber. Very helpful suggestions indeed.
Pity it's not possible to buy internet beers for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back