Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SWX , Win2KPro, & P4 graphic card recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeEngineer

Automotive
Jun 3, 2002
US
We stumbled into a problem w/ upgrading our computer boxes to P4 1.5v AGP slots. We were previously using Oxygen VX1 cards and now we are forced to change our graphics cards. What if any recommendations does anyone have out there for a midrange 3D card that will work well w/ SWX 2001 plus, windows 2000 professional and P4 w/ 1.5v AGP2 slots.

Thanks for your time.

Dean Weldy
Supreme Corp.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dean,
Your set-up is almost identical to the one I use. P4 (512MB), SW 2001+ and Windows 2000 professional. The graphics card we use is the Quadro2 MXR. We have only been using it for three or four months but so far have found it an excellent entry level card and have had no problems with it. We only have 32MB on the card but even so the render speed is excellent.
If you want to know anything else let me know.
Regards,
Paul

Well, I use a Quadro 2 Pro (Elsa Gloria III), but I wouldn´t buy one today. Not because of some mal-function, no, I´ve had no such problems, but because you can get a Geforce4-card for a fraction of the cost, and that card will undoubtly be much faster too. But what I would really do is wait for the ATI Radeon 9700 to come out (it's said to be shipping within less than a month). Look up this link if you're interested in the more technical specs of the Radeon;

This is probably the fastest graphic card ever made so far. And that for an estimated price of under 400$.

Before you buy anything check out the video card test results at the Solidworks website
Don't even think about buying anything that failed their testing and be very leery of anything that passed with limitations unless you have an unusually robust personality and lots of spare time. "Instability" can easily mean hours of crash recovery and quirky, misleading displays.

Good luck.

Have to agree with ODMULLEN. If it is "iffy" with the SolidWorks folks, it will be "iffy" with you too, unless you just open one square part at a time.

Whilst the ATI Rad 9700 looks very promising, there is still a "possible" issue with ATI's ability to produce and update drivers. Maybe they are better (or will be) and can make Video Card wars with nVidia to keep them prices WAY down, and the quality of card and drivers WAY up...

Mr. Pickles

I've been looking over the SWX web site on Vid cards. I've made a list before this post of possible cards from the SWX site and gave to my MIS dept. I felt if people have had this issue already they would have a good idea on cards they've used. We didn't even want to look @ the pass W/L. If a card doesn't pass fully I don't want this either. Currently I would love to stay w/ the Oxy card but we are having a hard time finding the Oxy GVX1 Pro 1.5v AGP2 cards. But I think the GeForce or the Quadro cards would be a viable option. I would rather not go w/ the ATI card though. We had ATI cards previously w/ Autocad and went away from them due to drivers & other issues. We are checking w/ our local supplier & online to see the availiblity of these cards in the 1.5v range. Hope we have good luck here because the intragrated intel graphics cards are giving problems while in SWX photo rendering.

Thanks for the good feedback so far. The card listing yall have given me has been helpful.

There isn't any difference between the Oxygen GVX1-Pro and the Oxygen GVX-1. But if you think you still need that card why don't you go to the shop at If you go to the refurbished cards there are few there.

But I wouldn't pay the extra cost. I used both cards and I couldn't see a difference.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help first*

Thanks SBaugh. But the understanding I am reading between the GVX1 & Pro are the pro comes in 1.5v for the new P4 mother boards. This is why I've looked into the Pro. Now while on the 3Dlabs site I did see the Wildcat II which has the 1.5v cards. Alittle more expensive but also a good card. The Wildcat looks like it also passed the test from SWX. Thanks for your help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back