Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

swxJRNL.swj

Status
Not open for further replies.

reswam

Mechanical
May 18, 2001
IN
Dear All,
What is this swxJRNL.swj?
It is generating every time whe npart was modelled.If you know any information please let me know
Thanks and Regards
Reswam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's only a journal file. It tracks your moves while you in a session of SW. It is generated every time you start a part and it will generate in the same folder as the model you opened. In SW03 or 04 you can set up this specific folder for it, not sure about older versions. Tools\Options\File locations\ click on drop down and highlight "Solidworks Journal file" and add a path. In that path your journal file will be created there each time.

This file can be removed, you don't have to keep these files.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

If you open it in notepad, you will see it is basically a SW macro.

And if you use macros (especially macro recorder), you may
notice that sometimes there are more, or different, api calls used to represent the features you generated.

Thank you Sbaugh,rocheey
Is there any possibility to use that as for backup file to retrive a part when the part deleted by mistake?
Regards
Reswam

In my old times of Pro/E, there where a similar file recording all mouse clicks, features and options.

We could recover from "fatal" errors or change the model by editing this text file and running it with Pro/E (we could see the model growing fast on screen).

So the Pro/E file was, sometimes, very usefull.

And, how about swxJNRL.swj? Do you find it usefull at all?

Regards

The SW journal file is good for showing API calls when doing thing in SW. It's like recording a macro. You could probably copy out a portion of your journal where you started a new part and it might make it from scratch again. I would have to try that but I don't see why not.

That about as usful as it gets.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[machinegun][beaver]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back