Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symbolic repr. of process measurement and control functions 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARF

Industrial
Feb 20, 2003
NL
Dear all,

I'm looking for a short document (PDF?) on symbolic representation of process measurement and control functions on Piping and Instrument Diagrams. In other words how perform a structured method of TAGGING on P&IDs.

04FIC100
22PT333

etc.

Thanks for sharing knowledge!
CARF

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That would be ISA-5.1-1984 - (R1992) - Instrumentation Symbols and Identification available from It's available in print or .pdf.

xnuke

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Other standards exist for hydraulic system components, fire control systems, HVAC systems, etc. Internationally within the process industry, ISA S5.1 is the standard for P&IDs or similar drawings by other names such as mechanical flow diagrams, etc. There are some old SAMA standards that apply more detail, used mostly in the pulp and paper business. I regard SAMA as obsolete. Most other organizations recognize ISA as the standard for P&ID symbols.

John

iso.org does the trick as well:

ISO 3511/1 Process measurement control functions and instrumentation -- Symbolic representation -- Part 1: Basic requirements
ISO 3511/2 Process measurement control functions and instrumentation -- Symbolic representation -- Part 2: Extension of basic requirements
ISO 3511/3 Process measurement control functions and instrumentation -- Symbolic representation -- Part 3: Detailed symbols for instrument interconnection diagrams
ISO 3511/4 Industrial process measurement control functions and instrumentation -- Symbolic representation -- Part 4: Basic symbols for process computer, interface, and shared display/control functions

So far so good,
Thanks,

Dear All
I am designing a plastic part.In that plastic part some controls(Like knobs for metering adjustments)will be there.To represent the same like increasing of speed,on and off such type of symbols, I would like to show.Becuase the part will manufactured and sold throughout the world it needs symbols in such a way all people can easily identify those controls.
If any body knows where they will be available.Please let me know
Regards
Reswam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back