Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symmetry in Floworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonix

Military
Jan 27, 2007
US
In Floworks, you can save computation time by marking the domain as symmetric about a plane. Ok, fine.

How do you display the results to recreate both sides of the plane? It seems like there is no setting to mirror the results for pretty charts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Both of course. One needs to communicate the results to the people who pay for things. I would hope the answer is that it cannot mirror the results apon completion -- as that would be rather large oversight for something so trivial to implement.

Sorry, I can't figure out why people would be disappointed in looking at a symmetric sector rather than to the whole.
Moreover, if you plot something inside a closed volume, you will see NOTHING, so you'd have to section it anyway.

If you do a flow trajectory inside a tube, you can hide the tube and may want to see the trajectory in the entire region.

Also, you may predict flow around a cone using just 1/4 of the area for symmetry, and then want to see the flow on 1/2 or the entire cone.

I am not sure first one to feel it is important, since Fluent does it. Also it is trivial to implement.

So it looks like I will need to double CPU cycles and compute it for both sides if I ever want to show a chart to a non-engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back