Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchroflex T5 timing pulley tooth profile 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xydrex

Automotive
Mar 15, 2005
AU
I posted this in the driveline section but then I found this forum which is obviously more relevant -

Hi, I need to cut a timing pulley - metric synchroflex T5 (5mm pitch). Reason is - this size only goes up to 60 teeth off the shelf but we need one that is 72 teeth. So I am after the exact profile of the tooth so we can design the cutting tool for it. I have profile of the belt tooth, but pulley tooth profiles differ slightly in terms of radii on corners etc so we wish to be exact. We purchased & downloaded ISO 5294-1989 which gives this info but only for Imperial profiles (closest one is XL). Apparently the metric info is contained in DIN 7221-2, only problem is its only available in hard copy from Germany so it will take a while to arrive & we need it urgently. Does anyone have the profile of T5 pulley teeth or know where to get it for download?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi xydrex,

There is a hob available to generate T5 belt pulleys in the range of 51-114 teeth which should meet your requirements. I don't know where you are located but here is a tool company located in England.

I would expect that if the hob is available in England it would be available elsewhere.

Just because the pulley you need is not a stock item why give up on the pulley manufacturers? They will normally be happy to cut a special for you and possibly faster and less expensively than you finding the necessary tooling compatible with your equipment, obtaining that tooling and material, cutting the blank and generating the pulley. In addition, it will more than likely be correct right out of the box.

Thanks for that we will consider all options. However we have obtained the standard DIN 7721 & have discovered that the angle on the T5 pulley teeth is 50 deg while on the T5 belt teeth are 40 deg. This was a bit surpirising as we were expecting the angles to be the same. Can anyone verify that it is the case that angles can be different between pulley & belt teeth.
Thanks.

I do not think you can measure the angle on the pulley as
I would assume it is on a curve and a perpendicular to the pitch line will be tangent to its base diameter which I do not think you can measure. I think it is very similar to
an involute gear technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back