Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronous generator in compensator regime

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelvex

Electrical
Jan 17, 2010
RO
We have a 60 MW hydro-generator to be put into operation soon. I work on the design side and have a tests program for the generator. It is required that the generator can also operate in a synchronous compensation mode. I know the procedure. The water is removed from the turbine and the machine will operate in synchronous mode.
I am being asked to prepare a schedule of tests for synchronous compensation, but I do not know what tests are necessary. I do not know a standard (IEC, CEI, NEMA...) where these tests are specified. If anyone knows this problem please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Help me visualize...

Pelton? Francis? Kaplan? Deriaz?

If any of the last three, is the standing tailrace elevation such that when the wicket gates are closed to 0% pinch [and, in the case of a Deriaz unit, the blades are moved to minimum pitch] the draft tube vents will rapidly vent the runner so it rotates in air, or will tailrace suppression using compressed air be harnessed? I ask because detection of pressures and levels associated with these constraints can be, but are not always, employed as what are essentially interlocks to keep the operation of the the unit within its design envelope...

Generally expanding on that, I'd be looking to see that adequate controls are in place to ensure compliance with the unit's capability curve, not only of the alternator itself but also of the turbine and its mechanical limitations, such as which gate openings can/will cause cavitation, vibration, etc.; narrowing one's focus too exclusively can be detrimental to the equipment, not to mention to one's career...

Just for starters, off the top of my head, I'd be looking for the following, with design, validation of design, confirmation of correct construction/wiring/connection, and commissioning verification of correct function:
- controls on minimum excitation so as to prevent pole-slip / out-of-step operation, and protection schemes to trip unit off line if controls fail
- limited time and continuous rating overvoltage limits controls and trips
- "transient stability excitation control" / "field forcing" / "disturbance ride-through capability" are various names for approaches to the use of a synchronous machine to both stabilize system voltage during faults and ensure it remains stably connected to the system post-event

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Unfortunately, I don't know of a specific standard.

If this will be utilized as either spinning reserve or frequency reserve, test the response time to see how fast it will switch to generating mode and then automatically ramp to full production. Test how much frequency deviation will kick it into generation mode.

Perhaps a test of total losses when running as a condenser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back