Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronous Modeling question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

miner49

Mining
Apr 17, 2008
US
Can I copy and paste faces from one part to another with Synchronous Modeling. I tried using Copy from ST and then copy feature from the edit menu. When I changed to another part I could select Paste Feature but the results were not what I expected, the placement face was copied not the feature. I'm sure it is something I am doing wrong.

NX6.0.2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cannot copy faces. So maybe show us what you are trying to do and someone can give better responses.

If you can provide a picture it would really help.

Let me try to explain this better.

I have a model with some ribs I want to copy to another file. The original model is a dumb solid so I am trying to use the Copy Face option from Synchronous Modeling.

I can copy and paste the faces (Feature) within the same file. I want to copy the feature (Copy Face feature) to another part file.

Can that be done with Synchronous Modeling?

not sure if you can just copy from one part and paste into another; but I think you could either (1) use the Reuse Library to do what you are seeking or (2) add the dumb solid body into the other file (ie: WAVE), then do your copy and paste.

Not guaranteed to work, just some thoughts to get you thinking...

Are the faces you are copying simple surfaces (planar, cylindrical, conical)? If they are B-surfaces the command may not work and/or give unexpected results.

I have copied and pasted faces between files. Select the faces of interest and Edit -> copy (control - C), switch to the other file and Edit -> paste. This will leave you with an unparameterized body (probably sheet body) in the new file. Now move it into position and on the synchronous toolbar (or menu) select 'paste face'. Pay attention to what it is going to trim or extend and press OK.

Cowski,

Yes, that worked.

I used the Copy face option to move the faces away from the original solid. I then selected the faces and then copied them. When I opened the other part I could Paste the faces then move them into position and used Paste - Face from synchronous modeling to re-attach it to the solid.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

Thanks John - I was using Copy Feature and it would not paste correctly. Just plain Copy seems to work. Now I need to work on the reuse library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back