Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronous Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaibhav111

Chemical
May 3, 2008
US
Where can i find 1500 Hp, 4kv Synchronous Motor Efficiency? I talked to siemens rep, he sent me induction motor's efficiency chart. When I asked him again about synchronous motor, he replied they do not make synchronous motors of this size. Pleas see if someone can help me..

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Apparently Siemens doesn't make MV synchronous motors that small.

But efficiency in something that is built-to-order as these are will vary by design, speed, features etc. Usually you specify an efficiency you would like to see, then they tell you how much that will cost. In general though if you are just looking for an estimate, Synchronous motors tend to be more efficient than equivalent asynchronous motors, so if all you need is an estimate, using some data you can find on a SCIM will be a safe bet.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

I seem to remember a Toshiba synchronous motor at the chemical plant where I used to work. It was 4000V, 2000 HP. Perhaps try them.

Why do you need a synchronous motor? Are you using it as a condenser?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Speed would be 1800 RPM.

We require synchronous motor because of their higher efficiency which will help our client in reducing energy cost in long run.

I agree with above comments - it's most productive to compare specific motors since there is variability.

Here was previous discussion of sync vs induction motors and their efficiency

good link by GE. Comments about other things to consider (like complexity, reliability, maintainability... all weigh in on the side of induction motors imo).

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back