Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system over-strength , omega in ETABS-2013 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayelamayem77

Structural
Oct 2, 2012
SA
Dear all,

Etabs2013 asks for system over-strength factor when assigning seismic forces using ASCE-7-05,the program mentioned that this value is used solely in design.
Referring to (ASCE 7-05 Section 12.3.3.3) Required strength of columns supporting discontinuous vertical elements the design of these elements should be done under load combinations with the over strength factor
Ex:
(1.2+0.2sds)d +omega*E + L + 0.2S

i tried to make an example of the previous design case required by ASCE-7-05 and check the design by etabs2013 for the columns supporting discontinuous vertical element to know whether or not that these elements designed by the previous load combination but the fact was that the program ignored the over-strength factor in his design.

so my question:

why the program asks for this factor and in which cases it is used in design by etabs2013 ?????????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That combination is use for some types of structures.

In steel for OCBF is use for checking connections.

It depend of the Structural Lateral Resisting System. (I believe that is only use for steel design)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back