Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Requirements and Upgrading NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce001

Computer
Jul 6, 2012
US
I have a laptop that runs NX 7.5 at an acceptable level. Should I expect this same hardware to run NX 9/10 as well or are the requirements becoming more demanding as new versions are released.

We are looking at upgrading a few components (like an SSD) in the laptop now and are questioning if it will be worth when we switch NX versions in a few months.

Specs:
Quadro 3700M
4gB of Memory
Core2 Extreme 3.5Ghz Processor

NX 7.5.5.4
TC 8.3.2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just upgraded my Dell T5500 with a solid state hard drive...and it breathed more life into it...the investment in a SSD is definitely worth it...but looks like you need more RAM.

NX 7.5/8.0/8.5/9.0

Yes, you should be running a minimum of 8Gb ram, 16 would be better. Other than that, if your graphics card/driver are certified and you're running 64-bit Windows 7/8 Pro, you should be OK.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Just to be clear: only add more than 4GB of RAM if your computer is running a 64 bit OS (not specified in the original post).

If you are not running a 64 bit OS, upgrade that pronto. NX 9 and later will only come in a 64 bit version.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thank you, this is good information. I am most concerned with the processor and gpu as they are not easily (or cost effectively) upgraded.

How long with I expect this processor to be relevant with regard to NX. Is the program getting significantly more cpu intensive as newer versions come out? Also the same question for the video card as well.

NX 7.5.5.4
TC 8.3.2

I would say that graphics will be more of an issue with future releases than the cpu itself.

64-bit OS is a must
16GB of memory

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

In the end, you'll have to install the software and test it under your own working conditions.

That being said, generally speaking, any 'professional' level laptop sold in the last few years, particularly if it was marketed using terms like 'portable workstation', you should be OK.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I am running nx6 and nx9. The major difference I see between the two is that 9 will use as much ram as it can have i have never seen this before. Its nice to see NX acting like a true 64 bit application just wish i had more to give it. The ssds makes a world of diverance

Specs
Xeon E5-2620 2.0ghz
8 Gig ram
dual NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2gig ram on each
125 gig ssd

Ryan Lee
Mechanical Project Engineer

NX 6.0.5.3
NX 9.0.1.3(Testing)
If you can think it it can be modeled

Status
Not open for further replies.