T beam Tension and Shear Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatNorthEast

Structural
Jul 11, 2018
US
Hey all,
I haven't done much math in 5 years as my position doesn't require too much so it has long been forgotten. I have this problem where I have a T beam upside down welded to a cylindrical steel tube. The T beam is one of many (they are frames). We are planning on hanging a beam clamp up around the flanges of one of the T beams and have it bite down at the web/flange connection point. We will be hanging 1300lbs from it (treat it as a static problem) even though it will move. The material of the T beam is HY-80 and the flange and web thickness is 0.625". I was figuring that I would look at tension in the web and shear in the flange... I just dont know how it works when it is a cylindrical shell with the T beam welded to it. It would be hanging from the top point of the cylinder. Not sure what formulas to use or where to start when it comes to a problem like this. May be way simpler than I am making it out to be...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A sketch would help. I understand that the cylindrical tube is vertical. The web of the tee is vertical and meets the wall of the tube radially. The flange is curved to match the cylinder and butts against it. The Tee section is in bending as a result of the applied load of 1,300#.

How far away from the cylinder is the applied load? The cylindrical tube should be checked for bending as well as the Tee.

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back