Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T-Joint intersection stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirovyaneto

Mechanical
Sep 13, 2013
GB
Hi,
I'm fairly new to FEA and I'm trying to simulate pressurised tube T-Joint.
I'm getting significant stress at the inner intersection. I tried increasing the fillet radius, adding reinforcement and ribs, but the stress at that point is not reduced.
[image]
Can I interpret that the part will fail because of the big stress value at that point even though there's a lot of unstressed material behind it?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without knowing the magnitude of the stresses, it is impossible to say. What failure mode(s) are you evaluating? For plastic collapse, it is not such a big deal. For fatigue, it may be significant. I will say that the general stress pattern is fairly typical.

What Code/Standard are you designing to?

The maximum stress appears to be partly due to bending at the joint and a peak stress from a stress concentration effect. You'll need to linearize the stress through the thickness to remove the peak component and to assess the stresses against yield criteria with whatever design code you're using. The combined peak plus membrane plus bending would be assessed against fatigue limits.
In general the results seem odd in that the stress distribution for this T joint should be symmetric about the vertical tube centreline (with only a pressure load) and yet there is a peak stress at only one side. All the other stresses appear to show this symmetry. Unless there's additional loads causing bending at one side, the results don't appear to be plausible. Check the model to make sure everything is connected up and there are no gaps where the ribs connect.
If the loading is purely pressure loads then use quarter symmetry of the joint and then you can put in more elements for the same run-time.

hey,
i am seeing the image u sended and from my opinion in T-joint the pressure is to be equally distributed in all direction and when you reinforcing the ribs its thickness is too less for bearing the pressure thus you can either safe it by increasing the width of rib or u can increase the diameter of base pipe if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back