Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Table of Consistent Units - stress analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuliomartins

Nov 25, 2013
FR
I am posting this motivated by another thread (thread727-136030: Consistent Units for Thermo-Mech Analysis), that made clear how many mistakes people make when using units.

As discussed there, we can choose any set of units for the base physical quantities, and then the values for all physical quantities must be consistently defined based on the basic units chosen. The base quantities are:
- length
- mass
- time
- temperature
- electric current
- amount of substance (mol)
- luminous intensity

For stress analysis, usually only the first three are used. The table below offers some useful set of units for stress analyses:

download.aspx

I sent the same table in an Excel sheet, that can be print and keep at the desk.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is an excellent rationale for using a calculation tool like Mathcad or SMath Studio. I can imagine the millions of hours lost every year tracking down a unit error in some calculation.

BTW, isn't "ton" an English unit; should that be a "tonne"?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

For stress analysis, IPS (inches, pounds-force, seconds) is popular in the US (probably the most popular). Also, stress analysts typically work with base units of length-force-time (not length-mass-time). You can use either, but the "base" should not consist of multiple units.

Brian

Sorry, as said by corus, the worksheet attached to my first post has a mistake: 1 tonne = 1.0e+3 kg, not 1.0e+6 kg.
I've attached a corrected version of the worksheet (link below)

As for the other comments:

- it's true that the table is biased towards the metric system. It is because I don't have much contact with the Imperial system, so any one who think it's appropriate, feel free to enrich the table;

- it was good to mention that, for stress analysis, it is often more convenient to define a set of units based on length-force-time (in a static loading case, for example). I totally agree with that, and that is why the set mm-N-s is in the top of the list. But "base quantities" is a standand "notation" in physics. For dimensional analysis, it was conventioned that those seven quantities are the base quantities - they are independent from each other, and all units can be described as a relation of base units.

Anyway, even if you need a set based on units for length-force-time, it is still easy to find the right line in the table, and them find the correspondent units for time, stress, velocity, etc

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1ca12ff4-1186-44ed-a546-6ec91bdba24a&file=Consistent_Units_-_Stress_Analysis.xls
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back