Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Table QW-451.4 fillet weld with toughness test requirement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smart143

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2012
IN
In ASME Sec IX -Ed 2013 Table QW-451.4, I can see that general note added as "supplementary essential variables apply when notch toughness is required by other sections"
Does this mean that base material thickness for fillet weld shall be as per QW 403.6 when toughness test is required?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as the base metal thickness range for filet welds are concerned, fillet weld of any size is allowed in all base metal thicknesses and all diameters as per table QW-451.1, When WPS is written for groove joints, the base metal "T" is not considered as a variable for fillet welds although base metal "T"is an essential variable, same applies for supplementary essential variables .

smart143,
The requirements of QW 403.6 are not applicable but the requirements of other sections are - as noted in QW 451.4.
Notch toughness applications are much more restrictive on thicknesses in other sections (B31.3 for example) so you need to follow the requirements of whichever section you are working to,
Regards,
DD

Thanks DekDee for your response. Can you elaborate little further on this.
If I understand correctly , for B31.3 welding with notch toughness requirement , my base material limit will be T/2 to T+6 mm & that of for Sec VIII Div I it will be T to 2T or T/2 to 2T. off course I am referencing this for Fillet weld per general note.

Inspector here is not accepting all base metal thickness quantification for fillet weld under notch toughness for sec VIII Div I vessel.

Smart143, The above base metal limit is applicable for groove joints and not for fillet welds. for fillet welds the range of qualification is , "All fillet sizes on all base metal thicknesses and all diameters" as per table QW 451.4. As far as the general note is concerned, it addresses the notch toughness requirement required by the other section of the ASME Code as ASME Sec IX does not have charpy impact test requirements to qualify welding procedures , the general note is mentioned in table QW 451.4 is identical to what is stated in QW-170.

smart143,
Your inspector is correct.
Below is an excerpt from a paper written by Walt Sperko who is the current chairman of the ASME IX committee.

Summary of Changes in
ASME Section IX, 2013 Edition
As published in the Welding Journal, October, 2013

Everyone knows that a groove weld qualification qualifies a WPS for all sizes of fillet
welds, all thicknesses of base metal and all diameters of pipe and tube. This is
true -- except when impact testing is a requirement. Readers should note that supplementary essential variables, when applicable, override the standard qualification limits, including the above general rule. Specifically, QW-403.6 (The minimum thickness qualified is the thickness of the test coupon or 5/8 in (16 mm), which ever is less.) and QW-410.9 (single pass qualifies multiple pass welding, but not vice versa) restrict the above general rule for fillet weld qualification by groove weld test. A note has been added to QW-451.4 pointing out that fillet welds qualified by groove weld test are subject to restrictions imposed by supplementary essential variables when qualification of the WPS with impact testing is a requirement.

Regards,
DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back